• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And You Thought We Were Kidding About Blimps

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I attended a pitch at NAVAIR two years ago when some of the Skunk Works guys were pitching their "aerodynamic lift" blimp. A neat idea that could have some real applications, if the fancy powerpoints are to be believed. I'm not convinced I'd wanna fly a big slow bag the size of a football field, though.

Flugelman

Contributor
The Keys already has a blimp conducting military surveillance: a U.S. Air Force aerostat blimp known as Fat Albert. But that blimp, operating from Cudjoe Key, is tethered by a cable and has limited range.

As in ZERO range. That thing (or something akin to it) was there when I was stationed at Key West with VX-1 in the early 70's. You didn't DARE fly close to it then. :eek: Very hush-hush.

SkidGear

http://justhelicopters.com/employment/pilotjoblisting.asp?iChannel=10000&offset=40

it is down towards the bottom....this is the actual ad...this is on a civilian helicopter forum

Position: Other Pilot Posted: 5/20/2008
Company :
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
(p)
(f)
(e) do_not_use@mail.com
Contact Person :
Human Resources

Job Location :
California
Job Description:
Be a part of the famous Goodyear tradition. Are you an aviator who is passionate about flying? Are you an excellent communicator who is comfortable speaking to groups of people and the media? Do you have the outstanding management skills required to oversee the airship team? If this sounds like you, this could be your chance to pilot one of the world's most recognized symbols, the Spirit of America! This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a dedicated aviator to experience the control and handling of an aircraft as unique as the Goodyear blimp. Not only that, you will have the opportunity to earn your “Lighter-Than-Air Certification” as a Goodyear Blimp Pilot! Even if you already have it, you've got to admit that the chance to pilot one of the world's most recognized icons is just too great to pass up. The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is as famous for our blimps as we are for our tires and other automotive products… if not more so. We launched our first airship, the Pilgrim, in 1925 and now all three Goodyear icons - the Spirit of Goodyear, the Spirit of America and the Spirit of Innovation - fly year-round throughout the US. There's a certain magic that goes along with the challenge of being professionally involved with a Goodyear airship. You can discover that feeling yourself when you join us at our Los Angeles, California-area blimp airfield as a Pilot. As a Goodyear Blimp Pilot, you will operate an assigned airship safely, effectively and efficiently to assure optimum utilization of that aircraft for favorable exposure of the Goodyear name. In concert with the Pilot-in-Charge, the Pilot accomplishes public relations assignments by planning, organizing, directing, operating, maintaining and administering a specific airship operation which includes airship, personnel and ground support equipment. The pilot also acts as the Goodyear Blimp Spokesperson, speaking to the public and the media, fielding questions and ensuring that the Goodyear reputation for excellence and professionalism is never compromised. As the sole pilot aboard, the Pilot commands and is responsible for the aircraft and functional operation during take-off, flight and landing. Assists and assumes command in the absence of the Pilot-in-Charge in the supervision of operations personnel in order to fulfill operations' missions in compliance with FAA regulations and company policy. Activities requiring outside contact include conferring with vendors, news media, airport management, motel managers (travel and tour arrangements) and the public, customers and potential customers. The Pilot assists in forward planning of airship mission requirements with respect to travel accommodations (airports and motels) and movement of the airship and ground support service vehicles and airship personnel. Additionally, the pilot assists the Pilot-in-Charge in ensuring compliance with all company standard practices and policies. While flying the airship, the Pilot will obtain maximum exposure of the company name by achieving optimum flight time of the airship through pilot and crew efforts. Note: Optimum flight time to meet public relations requirements within the safety and operations parameters of airship design. The pilot assists in reviewing, evaluating and controlling airship operations functions in order to maintain and operate an efficient, safe and professionally staffed flying operation. Traveling up to 180 days per year with consecutive extended periods, the Airship Pilot guides the Goodyear Blimp to a variety of venues throughout the United States that can include NFL, NBA, MLB, college football and NASCAR events, as well as the Academy Awards. Requirements include: * Current Commercial Pilot with instrument rating (airplane or helicopter rating) with minimum 500 hours * Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent * Minimum second-class medical certificate * Willingness to travel for extended periods of time Preferred, but not required: * Commercial Lighter-Than-Air Airship rating * A & P certification * Certified Flight Instructor * FCC license * CDL * College degree Goodyear, with marketing operations in nearly every country around the world, offers a highly competitive compensation package commensurate with education and experience, as well as the opportunity to work with an industry leader. Please note that this position does not offer relocation assistance. If you meet the above criteria and are interested in working in a rewarding, yet challenging environment, please apply online at https://goodyear.recruitmax.com/eng/candidates/, select the “search” button under the Job Search section to view the Pilot position. The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the US.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
AOPA Pilot had an article on the goodyear pilots a few months ago. They love the job, but apparently it's a job that only comes open every 20-30 years when one of the other pilots retires. It's a job for life.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
AOPA Pilot had an article on the goodyear pilots a few months ago. They love the job, but apparently it's a job that only comes open every 20-30 years when one of the other pilots retires. It's a job for life.
I see adds for Goodyear Blimp pilots every 6 months or so. In fact, when I was on furlough I applied and did the phone screening. This is where they call you if they are interested in interviewing you to make sure you know what you are getting into....i.e. 10 months of the year on the road away from home. They don't want to waste your time and their money if this excessive travel is not something you want. I didn't and passed on the interview.

My understanding from my various sources is that it is a job you love but one that few last more then a few years at.