• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Android Navigation Software

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
While moving to Va Beach, I set up a Verizon FiOS service to our new house. Part of the package includes a free LG 8.3LTE G tablet, which I should be receiving soon.

It's powered by Android so...

a) What are the rules in Hornet land regarding electronic pubs and

b) What kind of software is available out there like ForeFlight for Android?

I found a program called Naviator that runs $49.99/yr and looks pretty promising. I don't really care about the geo-referencing as much as I do about access to charts/pubs/approaches, etc.

Green11

Living the dream
Not sure about "a" but for your second question if you google Avilution and look for an app called AviationMaps/FlightPro it is kind of the same thing as Foreflight. I have it on my phone and it works pretty well. The only downside is you have to download it from the website instead of the play store. There is also Aviation Tools Free from the play store that has its perks as well.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I use Garmin Pilot. It works pretty well. It is very similar to ForeFlight. It works as a great moving map in the air and also overlays my position on any approach plates. I don't have a data connection for my tablet (Nexus 7 2013) so I can't get real time weather in the air. I have trouble following SIGMETs on it though. It plots SIGMETs and convective outlooks in the same color making it tough to figure out what is going on. Also line type SIGMETs are plotted too large. I have used it to file flight plans a few times and it works great. I did it once in the aircraft after FSS screwed up our verbally filed plan. It took 30 seconds to get the information in. Within 5 seconds of submitting it, clearance called me telling me they had our clearance. Also, with one subscription you can put it on two devices. I did a lot of research and think that is the best. Unfortunately, for aviation apps Android is a second class citizen.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Garmin looks solid, I'm not saavy enough to understand the difference between the standard and full subscription. The standard subscription looks pretty solid at $75/yr.

I'm glad you mentioned the data plan. I was hoping that WiFi would give me all the pre-flight functionality I needed and that GPS would cover the rest in the air. I wasn't planning on getting data service.

For the record, mainly plan on using this to do some civilian flying out of Chesapeake with Epix Aviation.