• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ANG Q's

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Alright gents, heres the deal: I have a friend who is currently a pilot for ComAir, and since I started my little trip into military aviation he has once again caught the bug to do more than bus people around the skies. My questions are.

1. What kind of boot camp/officer training would he need to go through?

2. How often are these units deployed?

3. He is 28 already so no chance to fly anything fast but what are his options for airframe?

4. And does anybody have any info I can pass on?

He has looked into it a little, and has some contact info about Colorado and Wyoming (lives in CO)

All help much appriciated.

2ndgen

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
1. What kind of boot camp/officer training would he need to go through?
The Air Guard has the Academy of Military Science. It's a 6 week OCS for the Guard.

2. How often are these units deployed?
Major deployment cycles are usually a shared 6 month deployment every 21 months for the fighter units, not sure about heavies. Basically this means 1-3 guard units split a 6 month deployment, they all share airplanes and pilots so everyone at home has an airplane to fly, and no one is deployed for the full 6 months (pilot-wise).

3. He is 28 already so no chance to fly anything fast but what are his options for airframe?
You have to be in pilot training by the time you are 27.5; but as with the guard there is a waiver for everything. If a fighter unit sends him to UPT, then he will fly fighters...

4. And does anybody have any info I can pass on?
At 28 he needs to get the ball rolling yesterday. He needs to start the pledge process now. You said he has contacts at some units, he needs to get over there at their next drill weekend.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I've read that the navy allows up to a 2 year age waiver. So he might even make SNA out of OCS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I've read that the navy allows up to a 2 year age waiver. So he might even make SNA out of OCS.

Only for prior enlisted as I understand it. Plus he wants to go Air Guard, not active duty Navy.

guim13

He better have good scores 2. I tried getting into the ANG/AFR for about a year and a half. I was a alternate for the last Wyoming board.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Like above tell him to go to wantscheck.

He is giong to have a hard time getting selected. First off most units don't really like older guys who are in the commuter airlines. Unless they are really hurting this for the most part is a drawback (although not always).

Show up to drills like said above. You have to "rush" a unit like it is a frat. Remember the pilots pick the next pilots so they want to like you. Not only are they picking somebody for flight school but they also want to know they can stand being stuck on deployment with you. Your buddy also needs really good scores for the TBAS/AFOQT.