• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another Chances Thread...............

rookiepilot

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I am trying to get some advicve as well as insight into the Navy. I just turned 25 in July of this year, and completed my Master's in Aerospace Engineering with a decent 3.75 Gpa, my undergrad major was Mechanical Engineering, which I had a 4.0 in. I recently joined the U.S. Army and I'm in the DEP, but I'm considering joining the Navy because well, I would like to become a fixed-wing pilot and in the Navy I'd have a better chance.

I have looked into the AF but because of 'force-shaping' I don't know how competetive I'd be, I have only 20 or so flight hours, I'm a Rest. Manager, and I don't make what it takes to afford a car, rent, and very much flight time. I'd planned to try for an IST after my 3.5 years in the Army, and go into the AF after making more money as an Officer, to get more flight time, and finishing up my PH.D in Industrial Engineering and Applied Mathematics. But then I'm thinking that I'll be 29 and "cut-off" for pilot training with the AF is, to enter pilot training by the age of 30, without an age waiver. I don't think I'd be eligible for one since I be a previously commissioned Officer, and probably have only my PPL and IR, (around 150 hrs, avg.) So now I'm seriously looking at the USN, as possibly I've spoken with a recruiter and I may be able to "eeke" by and get a pilot slot with my 'measly' 20 hrs TT.

Really, I'd fly anything that flies, I'm humble, I'd perfer something fixed-wing, but my career is as an Officer. I'd like to get some insight into what my chances are of getting a pilot slot, with my overall picture, did I mention I played college football, and that I have several community service, and volunteer experiences. One last thing my eyesight is currently 20/200 distant, and 20/20 near, I am not sure what the vision requirements are for pilots, and can I go out and get PRK to achieve the standards and what would be the 'waiting time' between the procedure and when a flight doc could check me out. Also NFO, would be a an option if pilot doesn't work out, for some reason.

Thanks so much for your time for reading my thread, and Thanks in advance for your advice, answers and replies!

MasterBates

RP, please break this into paragraphs. Too hard to read.

If you are DEP, you will have to get out of that before going Navy.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I am trying to get some advicve as well as insight into the Navy. I just turned 25 in July of this year, and completed my Master's in Aerospace Engineering with a decent 3.75 Gpa, my undergrad major was Mechanical Engineering, which I had a 4.0 in. I recently joined the U.S. Army and I'm in the DEP, but I'm considering joining the Navy because well, I would like to become a fixed-wing pilot and in the Navy I'd have a better chance.

With a GPA like that you are extremely competitive for a flight school slot in any branch. The only way you'll know for sure is just to apply and see if you get selected.

rookiepilot said:
I have looked into the AF but because of 'force-shaping' I don't know how competetive I'd be, I have only 20 or so flight hours, I'm a Rest. Manager, and I don't make what it takes to afford a car, rent, and very much flight time. I'd planned to try for an IST after my 3.5 years in the Army, and go into the AF after making more money as an Officer, to get more flight time, and finishing up my PH.D in Industrial Engineering and Applied Mathematics. But then I'm thinking that I'll be 29 and "cut-off" for pilot training with the AF is, to enter pilot training by the age of 30, without an age waiver. I don't think I'd be eligible for one since I be a previously commissioned Officer, and probably have only my PPL and IR, (around 150 hrs, avg.) So now I'm seriously looking at the USN, as possibly I've spoken with a recruiter and I may be able to "eeke" by and get a pilot slot with my 'measly' 20 hrs TT.

Just remember the cut-off date to become a pilot in the Navy is 27 1/2 years old. Not everybody has a ppl who gets selected, Navy or Air Force. Even with the force shaping the Air Force is still selecting pilots, granted it is much more competitive now than it used to be, but with your extremely solid GPA and your engineering major, the only thing you need to do would be score well on the ASTB or AFOQT (Air Force version of the ASTB), and you shouldn't have much of a problem with that because of your engineering background.

rookiepilot said:
Really, I'd fly anything that flies, I'm humble, I'd perfer something fixed-wing, but my career is as an Officer. I'd like to get some insight into what my chances are of getting a pilot slot, with my overall picture, did I mention I played college football, and that I have several community service, and volunteer experiences. One last thing my eyesight is currently 20/200 distant, and 20/20 near, I am not sure what the vision requirements are for pilots, and can I go out and get PRK to achieve the standards and what would be the 'waiting time' between the procedure and when a flight doc could check me out. Also NFO, would be a an option if pilot doesn't work out, for some reason.

Thanks so much for your time for reading my thread, and Thanks in advance for your advice, answers and replies!

You have a good mindset. Officer first, pilot second. With your vision you will have to get PRK though. 20/40 for Navy/Marine Corps, and I believe 20/70 for Air Force, but don't quote me on that. You have a very good resume with very good grades, so just apply and if you don't get selected apply until you do. You have a pretty good shot, good luck!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
rookiepilot--

At first glance your stats seem very competitive in almost any program. However, one question stands out in my mind and I am sure it will in any board that considers your package.

You have a Masters and Undergrad in engineering, why are you managing a restaurant? I have nothing against restaurant managers, but with your education it seems an odd match. I could understand if you had only got an undergrad, maybe engineering wasn't for you... but obviously it was, because you got a Masters.

Anyway, I don't this would be a huge issue, but it's probably something you should be able to address in any essays or interviews.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Are you going into the Army as an enlisted guy or officer? If it is as an enlisted guy why? Especially with your degrees and goals.

If it is as an enlisted guy, apply for USN or USMC OCS & pilot now. If you are accepted, the Army has to release you as an officer program trumps an enlisted one. Further neither the USN or USMC care about prior flying experience. It's the overall application/background that counts.

Planning on an interservice transfer at a latter date is a bad move. They are hard to get. Go for what you want now.

Also don't just talk to any recruiter. You need an officer recruiter. A regular recruiter will try an enlist you while saying it's easier to pick up OCS/pilot from the inside. Not true.

rookiepilot

To update my thread here, I have gotten in contact with a USN recruiter here in L.V., and I have begun the preliminary phase stuff. I'd just like to get somemore feedback as to my chances, I'm concerned about my credit score and if there is a waiver or something for persons with "less than perfect" credit. My score is currently like a little over a miserable 500.

I attempted to file BK in 2001, I co-signed a car loan with my mom, but she did not pay for it, so it negatively affects my credit. I began filing for BK, but at the advice of my lawyer decided that at the age of 21 it was not a good idea.

So now here I am. Also any advice as to the ASTB, and how difficult is it this test.

Would it be too much to ask my recruiter to meet with an NA, just ask some questions about lifestyles, career progression, flight time (as in how much does an NA get fly, per month) and what would be the "other" responsibilities.

How about since it is the Navy how much and how often are NAs, deployed as in going on "cruise" an what othe deployments are there.

At what point in the career of a NA does the responsibilities of command begin to deplete flight time.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
This is kind of a threadjack, but does anyone else get the idea that the Air Force's preference for people with flight time limits their pool to people who have grown up with, or already have money?

The time I contacted them about flying and told them I had never been able to afford to fly on my own, they kinda did a double-take.

/conspiracy theory

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
You have a Masters and Undergrad in engineering, why are you managing a restaurant?

If it wasn't for the Navy, I'd be a bartender with a BS in Industrial Engineering...I loved it. Nothin' wrong with managing a restaurant. ;)

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
If it wasn't for the Navy, I'd be a bartender with a BS in Industrial Engineering...I loved it. Nothin' wrong with managing a restaurant. ;)

Damn, all you have to do is learn to fight with katanas, drive race cars, and join a cult/scam based on horrible sci-fi, and your life will be a Tom Cruise movie fo' reals.

GT Propjock

Shows the excellence of the Georgia Tech Engineering Department, you should have gotten on the M-Train like so many others before and after you....;)

Lonestar155

is good to go
Are you speaking with an enlisted recruiter or an officer recruiter? Make sure you find out fast! Get in contact with an officer recruiter only!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To update my thread here, I have gotten in contact with a USN recruiter here in L.V., and I have begun the preliminary phase stuff. I'd just like to get somemore feedback as to my chances, I'm concerned about my credit score and if there is a waiver or something for persons with "less than perfect" credit. My score is currently like a little over a miserable 500.

I attempted to file BK in 2001, I co-signed a car loan with my mom, but she did not pay for it, so it negatively affects my credit. I began filing for BK, but at the advice of my lawyer decided that at the age of 21 it was not a good idea.

So now here I am. Also any advice as to the ASTB, and how difficult is it this test.

Would it be too much to ask my recruiter to meet with an NA, just ask some questions about lifestyles, career progression, flight time (as in how much does an NA get fly, per month) and what would be the "other" responsibilities.

How about since it is the Navy how much and how often are NAs, deployed as in going on "cruise" an what other deployments are there.

At what point in the career of a NA does the responsibilities of command begin to deplete flight time.

BK is always an issue. The details determine how big a deal. A low credit score usually isn't a big deal as long as you are ok with you current financial obligations. If not, it will have to be explained. talk to the recruiter about that. You can ask your recruiter to put you in touch with an aviator, but these days that may be a bit tough for him. There may not be any in his office. Your best resource for those questions is AW. That is, in part, why we are here. If you don't get answers to your questions posted by some of the members with more recent fleet experience, PM me. I am more then qualified to answer all your questions.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It just so happens I live in Vegas. My knowledge is a little out dated since I retired in 1998, but the basics haven't changed. Shoot me a PM with you phone number if you want and if you'll accept a NFO instead of a NA.