• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another interesting Blue Angel Video

yak52driver

Contributor
The sneak passes at SF are awesome, I've seen other views of this in my hunt for Blue Angle vids. Great post!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So I posted the wrong video at first, the one I meant to post is up.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
What was the clip at 2:30?

it too is an excerpt from The Magic of Flight (I used to go see it every year on my birthday with my old man, its been playing there since the early 90's). The clip was supposed to show what a pilot is doing when he ends up in an OCF situation - spinning. Pretty sure you can buy the whole video from the Naval Aviation Museum website, its narrated by none other than Tom Selleck - you can almost hear his mustache.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know what the "original" was, but I always loved the old school Fox-Four Blues in the IMAX and Smithsonian "Threshold".

Below is just the trailer... [short, and in very poor quality, compared to the original IMAX... but still worth viewing!]

yak52driver

Contributor
I don't know what the "original" was, but I always loved the old school Fox-Four Blues in the IMAX and Smithsonian "Threshold".

Below is just the trailer... [short, and in very poor quality, compared to the original IMAX... but still worth viewing!]

I saw the Blues flying the F-4 in Illinois when I was about 14, it was excellent seeing the video. Great find!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw the Blues flying the F-4 in Illinois when I was about 14, it was excellent seeing the video. Great find!
While the old "Threshold" Imax movie of the F-4 Blue Angels was great for its time and remains so even today, there were two tragic footnotes...

1. Blue lead Boss in the video - CDR Harley Hall- would later become the final Navy pilot to be shot down in Vietnam on the last day of the war. Link

2. Skip Umstead who was a team member in the video, returned to the Blues a couple of years later as "Lead". He then was tragically involved in the Lakehurst crash that killed three as I recall, and ended the F-4 as a Blues' platform.

yak52driver

Contributor
Maybe this belongs under the Stupid Questions thread, but I haven't been able to find the answer searching AW or the web. Why do the Blues wear the old style helmet with the visor slide as opposed to the newer one used today? Apologies if this has already been answered and Happy New Year to all. May it be safe for everyone.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Every time I hear that song it reminds me of a stripper who gave me a lap dance a couple years back....and then I always ask the same question, who sings it?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The opening scenes.... no matter the time of year, El Centro is a desolate, boring place!!!