• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another JSF thread

Skywalker

Naval Aviator
pilot
I know they had issues with the original tailhook design - but other than that, why has this variant taken the longest to bring to IOC? Wouldn't the STOVL variant be more sophisticated in terms of hardware, software, and procedures?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I know they had issues with the original tailhook design - but other than that, why has this variant taken the longest to bring to IOC? Wouldn't the STOVL variant be more sophisticated in terms of hardware, software, and procedures?
The navy already has a lot of newer jets, and is buying a relatively small number

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
at > $300MM USD per jet its's SIX times the cost of the very capable Super Hornet. Big Navy is not rushing towards this program. It's a flat budget world right now. Frankly I don't know how the Navy can remotely afford to get to IOC in any numbers - and maybe shouldn't. We'll see :)

Renegade One

None
IIRC, B-model had the highest priority of the 3 models due to the USMC's most pressing needs.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
I also understood the Navy's version had some beefed up landing gear, structural components, and wing fold design stuff that basically put it #3 in the design queue. Air Force and Marines came first.

Edit: Also LOL at the legacy Hornet fleet not having "aircraft issues".

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
at > $300MM USD per jet its's SIX times the cost of the very capable Super Hornet. Big Navy is not rushing towards this program. It's a flat budget world right now. Frankly I don't know how the Navy can remotely afford to get to IOC in any numbers - and maybe shouldn't. We'll see :)
FIFY; We are buying capability....we have to have what the Jones' have down the street:
J-20.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frankly, we've got a bit complacent after 25 years of no peer competition, bombing insurgents and fighting Brand X countries whose pilots shuck their vintage MiGs at the first RWR hit from a US fighter. We cannot get sucked into an attitude of "what we have is good enough," because the opposition is not standing still and they have interests directly opposed to ours.

AFUAW

pilot
All those F-35B models that the Marines are buying and have declared IOC with are LRIP models. There are still a lot of issues to figure out with the F-35 (all variants), and all those LRIPs will have to be modified at a very significant cost. In the meantime, the Navy has Super Hornets to more or less fill the gap until the F-35C is truly ready.

For comparison purposed, the Navy has a fair number of LRIP Super Hornets that saw little use in the Fleet due to their quirks. Even with 25+ years of F/A-18 experience, the LRIP Super Hornets were never really Fleet suitable. LRIP F-35s have even more issues. The Navy is taking the approach of holding off buying F-35s until more issues are sorted out. The Marines need F-35s now so that Marine strike fighter aviation continues to exist.