• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another legend from Battle of Midway passes

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kodera-kodon2.jpg

"Only One Survived" by Craig Kodera

Captain Albert K. "Bert" Earnest, USN (Ret.), Life Member of the Association of Naval Aviation and former Commanding Officer, NAS Oceana passed away on October 26th. CAPT Earnest was "Sole Survivor" of the land-based Torpedo Squadron Eight TBF Avenger detachment at the Battle of Midway. Funeral services will be held at the NAS Oceana Chapel at noon, 14 November. Captain Earnest's obituary will appear in the Norfolk and Washington D.C. papers this weekend.

g17063.jpg

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I read about him in a couple of books discussing the Battle of Midway and in particular, Torpedo Squadron Eight. One of the books epilogue said he still drove his car at his ripe old age and carried with him a dollar bill I believe that he found on the tarmac on Midway Island.

RIP sir, from what I learned of him, quite a character who was right in the thick of WW2.

Owen

He was one gracious guy. I got to know him a bit from his
visits to NNAM. He had some great stories about flying from
Guadalcanal too. He did a lot of work at Pax River doing the
evals on the captured Axis equipment along with the late
Cook Cleland. For years I used to call him on June 4 to say
"thanks". I will miss him......

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A True Hero

We'd better off today if kids looked up to guys like
this rather than obscenely paid sports stars and
entertainers. Another of the Greatest Generation
gone to his eternal reward. We are free today because
of such men. Godspeed Capt. Earnest

Agree totally! My heroes are all military (including my Dad, Son & Grandson) & especially the many Naval Aviators who mentored & led me into combat. Sports stars (except those who served), rock stars & movie stars (same exception as above) are not true "heroes"!

I am proud to wear the same Wings as CAPT Earnest. RIP Shipmate.
BzB