• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Old School Vietnam era A-4 Drivers willing to help me out???

Citation3

Hope this finds you all doing well and flying safe.

I starting a new modeling project and I am looking to solicit the advice and help of a knowledgeable Old School Vietnam era A-4 driver or a very knowledgeable person familiar with A-4 operations during Vietnam. I would like to ask a number of questions regarding the bomb load outs and the configuration of the A-4 during Vietnam era bombing runs.

I don't think the project will be to taxing on your end. I'm looking to submit a number of questions to verify the accuracy of the display.

If anyone is willing to help me out I would appreciate the time. Please PM me and I will give you the background on the display and what I'm looking to do.

Also, if anyone is local to Norfolk or Virgina Beach I would gladly buy you lunch and a few beers to sit down and discuss the project.

Thanks for your time.

John

brownshoe

Contributor
Busybee604 and Rondebmar were both A-4 drivers and saw a great deal of action during Vietnam. If they don’t see your post and respond PM them, they’re both great guys and I’m sure they'll help you.

I was an A-4 ordie during the era, feel free to PM me with questions. (God, I'm getting old.:))

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the project will be to taxing on your end.

Cytayshun, not to worry, I've been 'heavily taxed' all my life!

My AW PM broke. Lets conduct this on e-mail, I'm at bzb604@cox.net Note: combat ordnance loads were markedly different for the A-4B/C as opposed to the A-4E/F/M. I flew only the 'C' model in the 'nam, but am familiar with both type's ordnance configurations.
Model-12.jpg

Major 'visible' differences...A-4B/C has stars & bars insignia under cockpit, only 2 wing hard point ordnance stations. A-4E/F/M stars & bars aft fuselage, 4 wing hard points, a few Es & all F/M models have "humpbacks" (avionics bay behind cockpit), and all E & later have top-wing flaps (spoilers).

*e-mail me when you can.
Edit: OBTW, The E & later model have a different, more powerful engine giving them a 1500# higher max cat shot gross weight (24,000# vice 22,500# max for B/C models...thus 3 extra MK-82s for the E/F/M.
BzB

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
OK, Banty is up...available to settle any disputes!! LOL!! (Flew only the B & C model.)

brownshoe

Contributor
Now if these two guys would chime in all of your questions could be answered. (Including information about the ever-present oil stains on the starboard fuselage and wing of the aircraft.;))

Attachments

• derf&427.jpg
    derf&427.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 47
  • walt44.jpg
    walt44.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 42

Citation3

Brownshoe, BzB and Banty...thanks for checking in. I truly appreciate any help you or anyone else could provide regarding my questions. Since everyone is up on the same frequency maybe we could just conduct the briefing here since all of you would probably lend great insight to my project.

I will be building the 1/48 scale model of the A-4 Skyhawk in all her glory during the Vietnam war. If you are familiar with my other posted work here in the forum, my preference is to display the the aircraft in-flight using unusual attitudes and unique bases for the displays. There is just no glory is setting out a static display of a model for a contest. In order to accurately display the aircraft I'm asking you experts for advice and direction.

My current idea is the A-4 in positioned in the correct attitude for a bombing run. My preference is to use the E or F model. I have the correct parts for either version. The kit has the parts for the 4 wing hard points and the center line pylon. I would like to display the model about 9-10" above the base. My thought would be to have a string of iron bombs trailing below and falling away from the A-4. I envision 3-4 from each wing if it was possible in reality. The base would be rectangular with a gel river and road running across it with a jungle canopy covering it. The scale will be smaller to account for the perceived altitude of the A-4.

So onto the questions....

1) Would this even be feasible for a bombing run like this during the time period?

2) What model A-4 (E/F) would have carried a load of multiple iron bombs during the time period?

3) What type of iron bombs could or would have been used?

4) If multiple bombs were carried on the wings would a centerline fuel tank have been used as well?

5) Were the bombs dropped with the A/C wings level or was the run made descending towards the target? If descending, at what angle did the A/C attack at?

6) Would either the flaps or airbrakes have been extended?

7) What type of helmet was worn during this time frame?

8) Was the horse collar flotation device used during this time frame?

My plans could be way off base or unrealistic. I'm willing to try anything that you may think would be more interesting or realistic. If you are aware of any other memorable or iconic A-4 encounters or images I'm open to something different.

I'm sure I will have additional questions as I proceed but this should get the ball rolling for me.

As always, thanks for you time and expertise.

John

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Citation, having trouble posting on here & AW PM. Please send me your e-mail address or I can't help you!
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
Citation, having trouble posting on here & AW PM. Please send me your e-mail address or I can't help you!
BzB

Oh no!!! The horror of it all, "*"! Run for your lives! (Sorry all. Sort of a private joke. But I just couldn't resist.)