• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any other ways to become a USN Officer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
here we go:
i thought i was going to go to a community college until the first week of august, where i visited a school, where they accepted me as a non-degree student (meaning, i got accepted, but not through the real way of applying, etc.) since my dream was to get into a nrotc program, i begged, and was accepted into a nrot college program my first year of college. but for some reasom, my nrotc recruiter said that i wasn't taking any classes for any major, so he made me change all my classes (little did he know, i was considered a non-degree seeking student by the school.) he then said that he wasn't going to grant me a nrotc scholarship if i didn't take classes for my major; i changed all my classes around, and started a computer science major. BOY, did i fail!!! i got a 1.56 during the fall semester, and blew off $12k (b/c of out-of-state tuition); right away, my father called me back home, and told me how much of a failure i was to the family for oh, 4 months. i talked to some ppl in the nrotc board about few weeks ago, and they told me that i wouldn't be able to ask for a second chance in any scholarship programs except the 2-year rotc scholarships (even then, i have to ask for a waiver, telling them why i would like to come back to the nrotc community.)

seeing my situation, what should i do? i just started college fresh again, taking all the courses all over, and got a crappy-2.66 gpa this semester. though it's crappy, i'm starting to make a come back. i am also crazy enough to give up 2/ 1 1/2 years of college to start fresh in the naval academy if i have to. which, do you guys think, will be the best route for me???

ps, b/c ppl of the board are saying that major in japanese is useless to the navy, i have reconsidered and now thinking about majoring in mathematics (if anyone has info on majoring in math, please email me at enishi1983@yahoo.com !!!). thanx in advance

Dave Shutter

Your big advantage is time, you have lots of it. The most important thing is to turn around your GPA. Even if your major isn't technical you still have a shot at OCS with a good GPA. If NROTC said you're disqualified for any four year program then the Academy might not be an option. I hear it's real tough to get into these days...tougher than usual of course. If I had to bet I'd say you have a Marine Corps DI and poopie greens in your future somewhere. Check out the other threads here, getting accepted has deen discussed endlessly and you'll find info on what they look for in applications. It's up to you to fill in the blanks. Good luck!

uncledave

Enishi1983,
I am majoring in Mathematics with one year left until I graduate. I should tell you that if you have had problems in Computer Science then you might have even more problems in a Math major. Most people don't realize how much Mathematics is involved with Computer Science. At my school, the Computer Science part of the school is runned by the Mathematics department. Make sure that you really want to get a degree in Math before you get yourself into it. It is not like english or History, where you can do almost nothing and graduate. If you have the will and determination to do it (which you should if you want to become an officer), then go for it.

"Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live." -General Douglas MacArthur

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And who is telling you a Japanese major is useless!?! If it's something you're interested in, you'll probably do well in it, and oh by the way, get something out of it. As for "being useless in the Navy," I went through flight school and the RAG w/ a guy who minored in Japanese, and how he's out in Atsugi. I'm sure he's popular when people want to go out on the town.
icon_smile.gif

I would definately look at OCS options, if I were you, but if you want to go NROTC, then certainly give it a shot.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
see, i'm thinking about nrotc more than ocs right now, b/c i have time and also, it's a guaranteed spot in the navy. of course, i am willing to try out for the ocs if i must. though it sounds like i'm trying to take the easy way out, i feel much better being guaranteed a spot, no hard feelings.

as for the math major, GASP!!! noo~~~, i hated cs, b/c i didn't even know how to run cin and cout!!! the reason why i'm interested in japanese is b/c first, i'm korean with lots of japanese comics and stuff. b/c some of the words already sound the same and stuff, i understand a lot of it from just watching japanese cartoons straight from japan (w/o subtitles.) second, i taught myself most of japanese when i was in 8th grade; i was bored, so i just started reading japanese guide books from 1970's (when my dad used to travel to countries as an entrepreneur.)

i was just thinking about majoring in math b/c it is so easy for me. calculus I was a breeze for me, so i'm hoping to study hard to make all my math classes, um, a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.