• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Regrets?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Not necessarily becoming a naval officer, but the designator I settled for. It was a long 2.5 years before I got to lat xfer, so my advice is if you don't get picked up for your first choice, reapply...don't take a 2nd or 3rd choice just to "get your foot in the door"

jpham79

Not necessarily becoming a naval officer, but the designator I settled for. It was a long 2.5 years before I got to lat xfer, so my advice is if you don't get picked up for your first choice, reapply...don't take a 2nd or 3rd choice just to "get your foot in the door"

What do you mean by "designator" ?

chrispaul

NFO
None
I have no regrets whatsoever about becoming a Naval Officer, quite the contrary, actually. First, some background: I was a NFO, always loved airplanes, flying, and everything about it - so I was in an environment where I enjoyed what I was doing. I probably wouldn't feel the same had I been SWO, Supply Corps, Intel, etc.

I completed my 6-year obligation after earning my wings and left the Navy for the corporate world. Today, I work at a desk, handle million-dollar customer accounts, manage high-visibility projects for my customers, and have been overall quite successful in the civilian world.

However, I have had no job that I took so much pride in as my "job" as a Naval Officer. I might be handling million-dollar projects now, but I honestly feel that my Navy job was truly "important" (however you might define that term) in a way that few civilian jobs can be.

In addition, the opportunities that exist and experiences gained are truly one of a kind. To be issued a high-performance jet to fly in the civilian world? Not likely. To lead a SEAL team in the civilian world? Not likely. To travel to parts of the world that 95% of Americans will only read about in the civilian world? Not likely. Insert your own example from any Navy job. And the friends I made (both for me and my spouse) are friends for life, even more so than my friends from college. Sure there was a lot of crap to put up with in the Navy, but the moments of "I can't believe somebody's paying me to do this" far outweighed the sh**ty times.

I can go on and on, but to me, the most telling example is from my own kids (which I now have 3). They have no interest in my work now, seeing me talk on a telephone, sit in front of a computer screen, looking at spreadsheets. When they ask "Dad, tell me again about flying in the Navy" I know that they truly respect what I did.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I completed my 6-year obligation after earning my wings and left the Navy for the corporate world. Today, I work at a desk, handle million-dollar customer accounts, manage high-visibility projects for my customers, and have been overall quite successful in the civilian world.

Do you regret leaving when you did? Or was it simply time to do something else with your life?

snizo

Supply Officer
(Along the lines of what chrispaul said)
I handle some large and expensive projects for an industry heavyweight. I leave work every day with a sense of awe over the amount of money and the scale of projects I handle, but it is an empty feeling. About 3 stoplights down the road from my plant, I remember that my sole purpose at work is to make other people rich.

Civilian life has its benefits, but there is something about doing work that actually means something. I enjoyed my time in and am thankful I can continue in part with the reserves.