• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone do the 12 or 8 week PRE- OCS Workout?

cwc73

pilot
Just wondering if anyone did it with any success at OCS or if I should not waste my time.

red92gt

NFO? no. SNA? not yet. FNG? yep.
I'm definitely doing the workout before I leave (hopefully) for the July 9th PLC. I can already run the 5k in about 21:30, but the more I do now the less it will hurt then

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I didn't attend OCS or anything, so I'm by no means an expert on any of this, but I found a pretty good website on fitness and working out that SEALs, SWAT teams, firefighters, cops, and martial artists seem to absolutely love. I haven't been able to do a lot of the stuff on the website yet because I've got a broken leg, but you guys might be able to work some of the stuff in. Check it out: CrossFit. Read the free .pdf file they've got, look over the exercises, and see what you think. Watch some of the videos they have too; some of those are absolutely ridiculous (I'd never heard of anyone being able to clap while doing pullups, for God's sake).

FatKid

Navy OCS is pretty tame. The max we ran was like 3 miles and we had to run slow and the DI's offered encouragement because the run drop van was full. If you can do 75 push ups then you should be fine. I don't know how much lifting is going to help. When I graduated OCS I couldn't bench at all but I could crank out 100 pushups like it was cool, now I can't do either. A good way to judge is to do a hop-and-pop which is essentially a jumping jack followed by a pushup. The most we ever did was 100. The bottom line is that you need to score an outstanding (270 pts) on the mid PRT. If you max out pushups and situps then you can have a reasonable run and still be considered outstanding. If the majority of the class does this you get the PRT streamer and your DI is happy. If you don't then you get crushed. If you are going to USMC OCS then I imagine it is a lot worse.

goodone85

I'm assuming you're prepping for USMC OCS - I'm doing the same (Juniors this summer... I'm on April boards so I'll know for sure soon). The running program on the website is pretty decent, although I like to run/lift M-F and take the weekends off rather than the long weekend runs. Run a lot and the rest will come easy.

Look up the Armstrong pullup program and couple that with running and crunches work. I do those in the afternoon and weight-training at 0600, I'm working out with a fellow candidate and we do a lot of circuit lifts. Check out the SEAL challenges on www.thesealquest.com if you want a few good ones. Do em with a partner to keep your moto up.

Good luck,

Dave

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
i tried the program last summer when I sucked at the PFT. It heped at first, but since I am an impatient mofo, I added a lot to the runs. Ran further and at faster paces then it reccommended and more often too. Best thing that I could tell you is to start it and modify it to make it harder if you need it. You might decide that it is something challenging enough to work you out throughout the entire weeks of the program, or you may scrap it. See how it works for you.