• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Application Process

CJ21S

E-2 Bubba
pilot
So I am a Senior in College applying for Aviation in the Navy

I wanted to post my information and see what you all thought on my chances in being accepted as well as some general questions

About myself
GPA- 3.23 from Elmira College (small liberal arts but in pretty high regards)
Majors- Political Science and Psychology
ASTB - 6/6/6/54
PT- 55 push ups, 76 curl ups, 10:15 run
LOR's-
2 are current captains
1 used to be and is now head of NROTC at University of Michigan
1 of my professors
1 former employee - Fire Chief from Ocean Lifeguarding
About Me-
I am hoping to be the third generation Navy in my family (My father flew helos)
I have played Varsity Soccer at my college for the past 3 years and started when I was a freshmen
I have play jv basketball and lacrosse and played varsity of both while in highschool
I am the Class Gift Chair (an elected position to the class committee)
I am President of the Big Events Committee (A 22 person committee that brings musical acts to perform at the college)
I have been elected as a Judicial Board representative for my class twice (Jud Board is a disciplinary committee of the college)
I ran my first marathon (26.2 miles) at 19
I have a couple more activities but too many to post here

Basically I had a couple questions
1st, Is there any section I should look to specifically improve. (I am worried about my ASTB scores but my recruiter was unsure if they were competitive enough)
2nd- If I did take the ASTB's again is it my highest score or most recent? (I have heard contradicting statements)
3rd- What are your thoughts on my overall chances of being accepted?
4th- Any tips on a personal statement?
5th- Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Basically I had a couple questions
1st, Is there any section I should look to specifically improve. (I am worried about my ASTB scores but my recruiter was unsure if they were competitive enough)
2nd- If I did take the ASTB's again is it my highest score or most recent? (I have heard contradicting statements)
3rd- What are your thoughts on my overall chances of being accepted?
4th- Any tips on a personal statement?
5th- Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

1. The ASTB is really the only thing you can really control at this point, so if there was something you wanted to improve, make it that.

2. They take the most recent.

3. I think your numbers are about average to those guys that i've seen selected over the past month. Your LOR's and extracurricular activities are what set you apart from everyone else with good numbers, and it looks like you have plenty of that. I say you have a very good chance, and if you bump up to 7/7/7 i'd say almost definitely.

4. Check out this post.

5. I would apply with what you have, and if you don't get it the first time, retake your ASTB and try again. It looks like you have everything ready to submit your app, so you could probably make it in the January board if you wanted. Just keep yourself motivated and you'll get it, good luck!

McBuff

Sees the light
Just get one of your hippie english major friends to write your essay for you *wink*.

It doesn't hurt to apply with what you have. If you aren't selected, then take the ASTB again. I'd make sure your LORs are really good as I think content is more important than who wrote them. Also, all kidding aside, if you have a little time, make sure your motivational statement is kick ass. Welcome to the site, it's awesome. If you look around, you'll never have to ask another question.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The ASTB takes the score of the last test taken.

Having said that, if you feel that you can improve your score, and you are not near the age limit (27) you should retake the ASTB before applying. It is a much longer process to get rejected and reapply than to just re-take the test in 30 days (if it hasn't been that long). If, however, you think you've hit your peak on the ASTB, then don't retake it.

As for the motivational statement, answer these three questions: 1) why do you want to become an officer in the Navy? 2) what can you offer the Navy? 3) what can the Navy offer you?

CJ21S

E-2 Bubba
pilot
Keep em coming

These are all really helpful,
Please keep posting though, as many different thoughts as I can get would be great.
Thanks to everyone that already posted!