• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for OCC 195

skittles215

I am currently "in" the application process for this OCC class. Is anyone else currently applying or has anyone been accepted yet? I am planning on getting a flight contract. However I am in the beginning stages of my application process. Is anyone else trying to get a flight contract? How long did it take most of you to finish your applications? My husband is a Marine who has been through OCS and TBS but it is a little more helpful when there are people who are currently going through this process. If anyone cares to chat with me message me on yahoo.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I'm shooting for OCC-195 also, after NPQ'ing from 193, retaining my NFO contract. Provided the injuries heal fast enough, that is.

The first time through, it took me, eh, let's say 9 months from when I first contacted the OSO to being accepted. Most of the time was spent trying to get from couch potato status to passing the PFT with a decent run time, and had I done that sooner obviously the application might not have taken so long.

A note on the PFT and running:If you aren't a runner already, do not overtrain. You'll be in a hurry to get your packet through and your OSO will probably be giving you friendly pressure to do so, but if you do too much too quickly, you will get injured, which will set you way back. Also, do not undertrain. Arriving at OCS with a high injury potential is not desireable. :)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
take it from the man himself...haha hope you're healing well zilch

FutureMarine311

I'm shooting for OCC-195 also, after NPQ'ing from 193, retaining my NFO contract. Provided the injuries heal fast enough, that is.

The first time through, it took me, eh, let's say 9 months from when I first contacted the OSO to being accepted. Most of the time was spent trying to get from couch potato status to passing the PFT with a decent run time, and had I done that sooner obviously the application might not have taken so long.

A note on the PFT and running:If you aren't a runner already, do not overtrain. You'll be in a hurry to get your packet through and your OSO will probably be giving you friendly pressure to do so, but if you do too much too quickly, you will get injured, which will set you way back. Also, do not undertrain. Arriving at OCS with a high injury potential is not desireable. :)

Are you PLC or Post-Grad OCC?

Also a question for both you guys, what kind of information besides the ASTB and PFT score do they look for as being competitive?

High School GPA?
College GPA?
College Major?
College sports/extra cirs?
etc.

Thanks.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor

Also a question for both you guys, what kind of information besides the ASTB and PFT score do they look for as being competitive?

High School GPA?
College GPA?
College Major?
etc.

Thanks.

The minimum for the college GPA is a 2.0. I dont think that having 0.1 points higher than someone else will make you more competitive or anything like that, but I would say that the higher the GPA the better. My GPA wasnt all that great and I still got selected. At first, I wanted to get into the Navy program and it seemed like having a technical major gave you an edge. I noticed in the Marines that the major really doesnt matter. I was in OCC-192 and I think that only 4 or 5 of us in my platoon were engineering majors. Very diverse fields of study. Sports and other activities that you do are a plus. Anything that can show a leadership role you have taken will be a big help. If you've done any volunteering of have been the president of some club or organization definately include that info. I think that PFT and leadership are the two biggest things that are important, assuming you meet all other minimums.

Question - for the Marines, isnt the ASTB a pass/fail type thing?

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!

High School GPA?
College GPA?
College Major?
etc.

Thanks.

Post-grad, OCC. I have a degree in psychology and my GPA was absolutely horrible, just barely over minumum. But, my SAT score was high enough, and my ASTB was 8/8/7 (first try, buya!) so I think that might have had something to do with my being selected. That, and nobody was applying for NFO. There's that "needs of the service" thing you'll hear lots about, and sometimes it works in your favor.

Also I had some good LOR's, worked at the school radio station, a couple of clubs, and they like Eagle Scouts, as I hear. I had a management position at one of my jobs, that might have helped, too. Honestly, I was sweating it pretty bad because of my GPA and the fact that it took me 7 years to get my degree. Just goes to show that even if you don't think you'll get in, you should apply anyway. If you don't make it this time, try again.

Oh, by the way, I'm healin' up just great, thanks for the concern Slammer. :)

skittles215

Post-Grad OCC here. I'm in the application process now. I just sent my written application to my OSO and have my physical on Dec. 16th. I have a B.S. in Accounting with an "ok" gpa...not the best. I don't think your high school gpa matters. My SAT score was average, 1190. I wasn't very active in College because I worked ALL the time lol, a minimum of 40 hours per week. I was active in high school. I participated in Soccer, Band, Cheerleading, NHS, Beta, Student Council, Senior Board, FCS, Girl Scouts, and volunteered as an elementary spanish tutor. I have had a few management positions in my employment history.

Umm the running...HA lol I'm actually struggling a little of course. I'm not use to the 3 mile run and I'm trying to train my self to run the long distances. I can run the 1.5 miles easy but the run for PFT is killing me. Hopefully I can work my way up to a great run eventually.

Side note: How is the ASTB? I've looked at all of the forums on here but I haven't ventured into books yet. Is it like a standardized test?

I'm hoping to have my application complete before the end of the year. I REALLY want a pilot contract for this class.

skittles215

I was reading a few forums from a long time ago and noticed there was a rumor/fact about Air contracts being filled for OCC 194 and 195. Do you all know the status of the air contracts?