• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying while living in Canada w/ dual citizenship

Stellardark

Hey, I know that many of you are probably tired of answering these questions but I thought I would start a new thread because I think my situation is unique.
First off I am a dual citizen (American Canadian) living in Canada. I am currently in grade 10 in High School and am extremely interested in becoming a fighter pilot. I get good grades, play hockey and will start rugby and I was just wondering what the best route to take to get into aviation. Do more graduates become pilots from OCS or ROTC? And would me living in Canada affect my application? I would rather become a naval aviator but I haven't entirely ruled out air force. Does anyone know the differences in application? I would assume that naval aviation is more competitive to get into but more insight would be helpful. Also in University I plan on taking either aeronautical engineering or aerospace engineering. Do I need prior flight experience to apply for aviator?
Thanks a lot for any information.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Some of your questions are very general so search for most of that stuff.

You can't hold any citizenships beyond U.S. to be final selected. I would guess that living in Canada for so long would make your security clearance procedure more difficult.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Some of your questions are very general so search for most of that stuff.

You can't hold any citizenships beyond U.S. to be final selected. I would guess that living in Canada for so long would make your security clearance procedure more difficult.

You can't be commissioned w/ dual citizenship... but you can be accepted. I have had 2 friends do this; one a Canadian-American and the other a Venezuelan-American. They had to renounce their secondary after being taken into BDCP but before OCS.

Stellardark

Hmmm talking to my parents they weren't exactly keen on me losing citizenship and I will have to think very hard about it. Is there anyway I could be able to tell if I got a pilot slot before giving up citizenship? I heard for OCS you apply to the profession you want and if your accepted you get it?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there anyway I could be able to tell if I got a pilot slot before giving up citizenship? I heard for OCS you apply to the profession you want and if your accepted you get it?

That is what VetteMuscle in saying in post prior to your last one. You'll know you're accepted for Aviation in either direct application to OCS or through BDCP. You're hardly the first and certainly not that unique. Search the threads with dual citzenship as keywords and you'll find others have gone before you. The forum software also gives you a helping hand...scroll to bottom of this page and you'll see it's already done a search on most pertinent similar posts (note: I changed the title of your thread to assist that feature in helping you).

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Hmmm talking to my parents they weren't exactly keen on me losing citizenship and I will have to think very hard about it. Is there anyway I could be able to tell if I got a pilot slot before giving up citizenship? I heard for OCS you apply to the profession you want and if your accepted you get it?

I just have to ask the obvious question. If you're Candian, why not look into becoming a Canadian fighter pilot? They don't land on a ship but their airshow CF-18 Hornet demonstation is great.