• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army aviation - what are my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjoejoe

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, i know this is primarily a naval aviation site, but I saw some people discussing army aviation and it looks like there are some WO's around here posting.

My question is, being 20 and having only a high school diploma with a semester of college, what are my chances of actually being selected for WOCS and getting to become an army pilot? I have spoken with a recruiter and honestly, I just dont trust them. He basically says "sign up and we'll recommend you for WOCS and thats it!" Of course I know I have to pass WOCS and flight exams and all that, but what I'm talking about is my competition.

I know a lot of army pilots have 2 years college degrees, so they are not comissioned officers, but they certainly have a leg up. I graduated high school at 17 with a 2.8 GPA or so (just too lazy my last 2 years to do better) but overall I'm a reasonably smart guy, great with computers etc. I am in fine physical health, im 5'11 150lbs, lean, 20/20 vision, no criminal record, etc etc. Dont get me wrong, I'm not some lazy bum. I was just kinda depressed and had no sense of direction, and did so well the first 2 years I knew I could afford to slack. My senior year I only had 1 required class to take. I had already completed the rest, all I had to do was fill time with electives. I would definitely be serious in the military if I knew I was going to get to fly.

I'm just another one of those scared wannabe pilots who is afraid I'm going to be mislead that theres a realistic chance of flying, then get told "the army's needs come above yours, you are going to drive a truck for the next 10 years" when the entire point is to FLY. Not fly to help promote a civilian aviation career, just fly.

If the recruiter tells me I'll be sent to WOCS, can I take his word? Is it really that easy? I'll be sent to WOCS, and assuming I dont wash out of WOCS or flight school, I'll get to fly?

Lawman

None
WOCS does require you to enlist, however its conditional and its done after you get selected for WOFT.

Basically your going to do the exact same thing that regular OCS applicants do, put a packet together and apply for it. You will go before a Battalion level board with 3 officers and they basically interview you and score you overall on a scale of 20 each. Add those scores to your other parts of your packets (letters of recommendation, GPA, community service, etc) and they send that to US Army Recruitment Command (USAREC). If you get the nod from USAREC you have something like 30 days to enlist in the Army as a 09W Warrant Officer Candidate. You will have to go to MEPS and enlist and ship to basic will all the other E's going to god knows what MOS. Difference is when you finish BCT you will get on a bus for Ft Rucker for WOCS when everybody else ships to AIT. After that its Bravo Company...

Right now slots are getting more and more difficult to get so if your serious, speed would be a good idea. If your recruiter seems a little unsure about the process its because they dont really do a whole lot of these by and large.

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.