• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army National Guard Release?

vetteguy

Hey Guys,

I am new to the board, and I have already learned a great deal from looking through the older threads, so thank you very much already for knowledge gained. I have an interesting couple of questions and was hoping someone out there might have any sort of info that can help. I am currently enlisted in the VA National Guard. I am also currently deployed to Iraq, been gone for about 15 months ground pounding over here and I am hoping to get home next month. I have been thinking about the marines the majority of my trip over here and specifically about a pilot contract. I currently have 2 years left in the National Guard but possibly 3 years left in school. I am in the guard to pay for school, it was my best option at the time. After reading I have noted that the aviation slots have dried up for possibly the next year or two. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with obtaining a release from the Army, specifically the National Guard? do the Marine OSO's have much pull in that department? Also, does anyone know if I can put my packet in for a SNA slot while currently enlisted in the guard, and apply for the conditional release when I find out I have the slot? I guess what I am saying is I would like to stay in the guard to pay for school while I try and get a SNA/NFO slot and am wondering if this is possible. Thank you for any and all info you can provide!

Thanks,

Stevens

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
If your commitment to the Guard is shorter than your projected college completion, the least painful way would be to finish your commitment to the Guard. I'm sure that whatever money they're giving you for school surpasses what you'll find with a Marine OSO. I'd call an OSO to talk about it, though. If you end up following my advice, be sure you get the ball rolling during your last few months of service, so you can be selected for OCS at the earliest possible date.
As far as air slots, the numbers fluctuate every few years due to the complex nature of granting contracts. They used to hand out air slots like candy; now, it might be more competitive.

vetteguy

Richthofen,

Thank you for the info, and congratulations on getting your slot in 194! Were you able to send in your packet while still enlisted in the guard or did you first request the release and then send your packet in? If I can continue to send in packets while remaining in the guard until I get a slot that would be amazing. Thank you very much!

orthaj

I got a release from the wi guard. but that was in 00. I suspect things are a little different now. Manpower shortages, deployments and such. Submit the paperwork and see what happens, the worst the guard can do is say no and nobody is likely to think less of you for wanting wings and the MC. Good luck.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Unless there has been a change since I retired in 1998, an active duty program always trumps a reserve program and an officer program always trumps an enlisted program. So if you are accepted to an active duty officer program a reserve enlisted program must release you.

I was a ARNG member with an obligation when I got selected for AOCS. I signed my Navy contract and it was forwarded to my Guard unit. I was released from the Guard immediately retroactive to the date I signed the Navy papers.

I don't know if a Marine OSO would let you hold off on signing your contract so you could stay in the Guard and collect their tuition money until the bitter end. If I was an OSO, I wouldn't let you. In my opinion that be stealing. I have no problem with you deciding you want to be a Marine officer after starting with the Guard, but once you get accepted it's time to get released and stop accepting the Guard's assistance. At that point you are taking the Guard's money under false pretenses.

Richthofen

Richthofen,

Thank you for the info, and congratulations on getting your slot in 194! Were you able to send in your packet while still enlisted in the guard or did you first request the release and then send your packet in? If I can continue to send in packets while remaining in the guard until I get a slot that would be amazing. Thank you very much!

Thank you.
while you are working on an application you should request discharge form. It had to be approved before you submit the packet in my case.
First step would be contact OSO, and inform your unit's plt NCO in chain of command about your plans.

Good luck.:)

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Conditional Release

If you're in the Guard and want to go Marines, then your best bet is to do this:

1) Graduate from college first, so the Guard will pay for your degree

2) After getting your degree, contact an OSO in order to start the application process.

3) Ask for the Conditional Release from the Guard. The OSO might be able to help with getting you the Conditional Release. However, you cannot contract with the OSO until you have the Conditional Release. Conditional Releases are usually based off if or when you get selected.

4) If the Guard will not release you, then you will have to wait out your time in the Guard.

I hope this helps.

vetteguy

samada,

Thank you very, very much for your response. Your point #3 answered the main question I had, whether the Conditional release was actually conditional based on whether I am accepted or not. So, as I understand it once I get my command to authorize a conditional release then I can continue to send my packet in until(if) I am accepted, while the guard continues to pay for school? My command won't mind the situation because they get to keep me as a number (retention in my portion of the state being low) and I get to keep the money for college coming in while I try for it. Thank you very, very much for the information and opinions everyone!

Stevens

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Yeah you should be able to pull it off. I'd consider HAL's advice though... There is some Financial Assistance available to individuals in the Marine program. If you went through the PLC program (sounds like a good deal if you've got 3 years left in college), the Marine Corps. will reimburse your Tuition/Books under MCTAP (Tuition Assistance), and will give you around $3000 worth of stipend money per school year with FAP (Financial Assistance) ... you should also still have your MGI Bill money coming in.

Those were the assets I've had for the last couple school years, pulled me through just fine.