• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army NG officer to Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin.chebahta

I am currently in the army national guard and am preparing to go to OCS in a few weeks. I really want to go active duty upon completion of OCS but am unsure of how viable this is. Will obtaining the conditional release still be at all possible for me? Would I need to attend Officer Branch School in the army first, or would I be able to be released from the guard and attend branch school in Navy? I have only talked to handfull of officers in the army guard about this and they really dont know because they have all chosen to remain officers in the guard, obviously. Would I need to apply, be accpeted to, and attend Navy officer school even if I have been commissioned? Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions. I just want to be prepared and get all my facts in advance.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once you are commissioned in any service, attending OCS is out of the question. You must then work a lateral transfer from the Army to the Navy. There would be no officer training, you get you equivelent rank, usually, and go into a specific designator (mos). That is the hard part. If you were an Artillery Officer it would be a harder fit than for, say, a Intel Officer or Corps of Engineer guy. Bottom line is if you are an Army Officer, NG or not, it would be very difficult to lateral into the Navy with your commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.