• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Artillery Officer Interservice Transfer

ArtyGuy

Hey all,

I just started following this forum in my search for information on how to become an aviator. I'm a Field Artillery Officer, O-3, in the Army and looking for a change. Flying has been something I have always been interested in and after reading about the pilot shortage I felt like this might be my opportunity to give it a shot. I tried looking into resigning my commission to go Warrant and fly for Army Aviation but I have a wife and 2 kids and I'm not sure I'm willing to put them through the pain of the large pay decrease I would incur. I'll have a year left on my service obligation to the Army come October so I'll be within the 12 month window to where the Army wouldn't immediately deny my IST. I'm 28 years old so I would likely need an age waiver but I currently have 20/20 vision. If the Navy or the Marines would have me, I'd fly just about anything they'd ask me too, I'm just hoping to get the opportunity to compete for a slot.

I'm just looking for any information that could point me in the right direction on who to talk to on the Navy side to start the process. I saw there was an Arty Officer on here who was able to do it, so it must be possible, but looks like he hasn't been on here in a while. If an IST isn't in the cards for me that is fine, but at least I can say I tried. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey all,

I just started following this forum in my search for information on how to become an aviator. I'm a Field Artillery Officer, O-3, in the Army and looking for a change. Flying has been something I have always been interested in and after reading about the pilot shortage I felt like this might be my opportunity to give it a shot. I tried looking into resigning my commission to go Warrant and fly for Army Aviation but I have a wife and 2 kids and I'm not sure I'm willing to put them through the pain of the large pay decrease I would incur. I'll have a year left on my service obligation to the Army come October so I'll be within the 12 month window to where the Army wouldn't immediately deny my IST. I'm 28 years old so I would likely need an age waiver but I currently have 20/20 vision. If the Navy or the Marines would have me, I'd fly just about anything they'd ask me too, I'm just hoping to get the opportunity to compete for a slot.

I'm just looking for any information that could point me in the right direction on who to talk to on the Navy side to start the process. I saw there was an Arty Officer on here who was able to do it, so it must be possible, but looks like he hasn't been on here in a while. If an IST isn't in the cards for me that is fine, but at least I can say I tried. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

Possible to apply? Yes. Will you get accepted through an IST? Probably not.

I had a talk with the community manager about ISTs, since my recruiting district has a big army and Air Force presence and we get officers all the time wanting to convert. He said at the very most 1-2 might be selected every year, key word maybe. The navy needs pilots but it's easily accomplished through OCS, ROTC/STA21, and USNA accessions. They don't really need folks from other branches. From my knowledge, those who have gotten picked up have prior aviation experience.

Long story short and the community manager said this, if you wanted to be a Naval Aviator you should have considered when you were considered and applying for commissioning programs.