• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A's or C's in Kingsville

Rothman

pilot
Just curious as to how it works in K-rock having two models. Will I fly both during advanced (i.e. A's during RIs and C's later on), does one squadron fly A's and the other C's or do both squadrons fly a mix? Again, just curious...

FLY_USMC

pilot
You won't fly both, very different avionics/hud setup, as for the other questions, I'll defer.

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
You will either fly the A or C. They are still in the process of incorporating the C model here in Kingsville, and there are still more A students than C. That said, they have increased the C numbers in the last few months. I classed up in May in the C model, and there have been a mix of C and A classes since then. Both squadrons fly the C, but as far as I can tell it is a toss of the dice for which model you'll class up in.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
A Velocity Vector (VV for short) is a little symbol in the HUD (heads up display, although I am sure that is already known) that shows your projected path through the sky.

In other words, it everything were perfect and you planted the VV on a particular bush on the ground and kept it there, you would fly into that bush. It is a really useful toll for a lot of stuff, although there always seems to be an A (only the C models have it) guy who says it is stupid.

It takes into account wind where you are currently, coordination (like centered ball), velocity, vertical velocity, etc. It doesn’t react instantly, but gives a really trend indication. And if you line it up with the 0 degree pitch ladder on the HUD, you are level. Good piece of gear.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
It takes into account wind where you are currently, coordination (like centered ball), velocity, vertical velocity, etc. It doesn’t react instantly, but gives a really trend indication. And if you line it up with the 0 degree pitch ladder on the HUD, you are level. Good piece of gear.

Wannabe question--

I heard here that you shouldn't use it too much for carrier landings because it indicates trend.

Then I was told by another person that if you rolled out on final and put it on a certain spot on the ship and maintained then you would be good?

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
VV on the ship...

An F/A-18 driver once told me that as far as using the VV on the ship, that if the Velocity Vector is on the crotch of the ship at 3/4 of a mile, you've probably got a good pass set up? Is that true, or just forget the HUD and fly the approach without the vector?

Regards,
Wingnut

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
An F/A-18 driver once told me that as far as using the VV on the ship, that if the Velocity Vector is on the crotch of the ship at 3/4 of a mile, you've probably got a good pass set up? Is that true, or just forget the HUD and fly the approach without the vector?

Regards,
Wingnut

A better way to put it is if you're on and on, the VV will be in the area of the crotch, if it's uncaged. I fly caged. I tried to fly uncaged for a few weeks and had some horrible passes. Don't even mention VV placement gouge around an LSO. Good way to get beat. My skipper flamed a few guys talking about it.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I don't have the experience of Single Seat, but yeah....the LSO *might* kill you if you tell him you just "plant the vector" for a sweet pass.

I, too, fly caged. I hate having my ladder moving around.

There is always some gouge floating around about VV placement for passes, but that thing moves a little slower than the ball. I.E. it might show you still having a good pass as you drop the ball off low or push it high.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Different strokes for different folks, I personally uncage it each pass, gives me a little warm fuzzy about what the winds doing for me, plus I hate looking at the ghost vector. Don't get me wrong, I fly the ball....but I've also heard that fleet guys can actually fly a "self contained" approach where they almost don't need the ball. Velocity vector placement in the HUD gets so repetitious, they can show up at the ramp with a good ball using only the VV, BUT, caveated with are excellent ball flyers and can pretty much do it any way they need to. This was straight from my LSO's mouth.