• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Assignments/Billets in Korea?

mraustinml

Picked up SNA recently, and I've been scouring PERS 43 to see what kind of assignments and billets are available for both sea and shore tours for the communities that have that information posted. Does anyone know of any assignments/billets that could take someone to Korea (preferably being stationed there, but deployments/frequent interaction is cool too)? Haven't really seen any yet. And if these do indeed exist, is there a specific community/platform that is tied to these opportunities? I know the Navy has some assets out in Chinhae, Busan, and Seoul, so something has to exist, I assume. As a disclaimer, I'm aware that being able to even compete for some of these billets is really just based on timing and luck, but I was curious and just wanted to ask anyways. And as a final question, is there anywhere besides the PERS 43 website that I can find slates and billet lists?

Last edited:

Llarry

I believe that the staff at Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Korea, is quite small. I suspect that as an off-the-golden-path LCDR there would be the potential of a PCS tour with the staff. I doubt whether there would be any billets for a junior Naval Aviator.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Japan guys have historically pulled in there, but I'm not sure how much the Airwing goes there. The independent deployers (like HSM-51) might have a higher chance of more port visits there. Occasionally the Hawaii guys go there, as well (HSM-37). The area is a hot-spot in current events, so there's always some portion of the ocean that needs to be patrolled.
is there anywhere besides the PERS 43 website that I can find slates and billet lists?

Ah, you dear, sweet, innocent person. PERS doesn't like to make those things public because then you might have an ounce of power over them when trying to negotiate orders.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
As a Japan guy I did a ton of trips to S Korea, both on and off of a boat. You will also have a lot of options later on in your career for USFK or CNRK, but those would be post DH jobs, 14-15 years down the road.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Picked up SNA recently, and I've been scouring PERS 43 to see what kind of assignments and billets are available for both sea and shore tours for the communities that have that information posted. Does anyone know of any assignments/billets that could take someone to Korea (preferably being stationed there, but deployments/frequent interaction is cool too)? Haven't really seen any yet. And if these do indeed exist, is there a specific community/platform that is tied to these opportunities? I know the Navy has some assets out in Chinhae, Busan, and Seoul, so something has to exist, I assume. As a disclaimer, I'm aware that being able to even compete for some of these billets is really just based on timing and luck, but I was curious and just wanted to ask anyways. And as a final question, is there anywhere besides the PERS 43 website that I can find slates and billet lists?

There’s not many billets and even so, probably not the best for your career.

More OCS studying, less getting lost in PERS websites.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Disassociated sea tour after first flying tour, and request a billet on an LHD in Japan?

31st MEU/ARG routinely makes port calls in South Korea during bilateral exercises.

You'll get to explore Pohang (the Toledo of Korea). It's awesome...😉

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
And as a final question, is there anywhere besides the PERS 43 website that I can find slates and billet lists?
You'll have better luck tracking down the recipe for Coca Cola.

Japan/ROK have tons of billets. Plus plenty of opportunities to deploy out there. It's a high-growth area.

Mos

None
I know a VP NFO that did a Korea tour, can't remember if it was shore tour or disassociated, but it exists.

Meyerkord

pilot
HM-15, the last operational squadron of MH-53s the Navy has, has a permanent detachment in South Korea (and another in Bahrain)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There’s not many billets and even so, probably not the best for your career.

More OCS studying, less getting lost in PERS websites.
This isn't particularly helpful. It's natural for someone to be interested in long-term career goals, and you're squashing the kid for it.

Our community has a 'career tacaid' that lays out sea / shore flow as well as typical shore assignments at every stage of the career, and the expectation is that we're giving this to Ensigns in the training pipeline.

So okay, Korea isn't in the cards for an aviator in the first part of his career ... why? What is in the cards?

Retention studies have shown that people (officer and enlisted) stay Navy more often when their career expectations are set early. That way, they feel like they have control over realistic choices and don't feel 'screwed' when they can't get a pipe dream duty station or billet.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Unpopular opinion: If your goal is to live and work in South Korea as much as possible, there are tons of DoD civilian and contractor opportunities on the peninsula. If you also want to be a naval officer too, you can do both in the reserves, after completing your initial service obligation on active duty. Depending on what you fly, there is also a possibility of IST to the Army, which is the branch that has the most presence in Korea across the service branches.

Fair warning, keeping up with USNR annual requirements when you live in Korea and your nearest NRC is Guam or Pearl is going to be a headache/expense, albeit doable.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
This isn't particularly helpful. It's natural for someone to be interested in long-term career goals, and you're squashing the kid for it.

Our community has a 'career tacaid' that lays out sea / shore flow as well as typical shore assignments at every stage of the career, and the expectation is that we're giving this to Ensigns in the training pipeline.

So okay, Korea isn't in the cards for an aviator in the first part of his career ... why? What is in the cards?

Retention studies have shown that people (officer and enlisted) stay Navy more often when their career expectations are set early. That way, they feel like they have control over realistic choices and don't feel 'screwed' when they can't get a pipe dream duty station or billet.
Getting your long term career advice from a former recruiter is also not wise.