• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Exam/OCS

Swerv

I am preparing to take the ASTB exam but I have been out of school for a few years now and I need to touch up my math skills. Does anyone know of any updated study guides or books I can get to study for the exam. I plan on taking the exam sometime this month.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Welcome. Use the Search function at the top of the page. There is an entire subforum about the ASTB and plenty of info already posted.

If you have any specific questions that you can't find the answers to, post up!

Good luck.

Lobster

I am preparing to take the ASTB exam but I have been out of school for a few years now and I need to touch up my math skills. Does anyone know of any updated study guides or books I can get to study for the exam. I plan on taking the exam sometime this month.

These are already on here but just a quick few

Arco Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Tests
Arco Military Flight Aptitude Tests
Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests
Mathematics Made Simple (One I used for the math good for basic Trig, Algebra, Geometry)
DO NOT BUY THE CLIFFS GUIDE IT WILL NOT HELP YOU
I know from experience

Swerv

Thanks guy, but I see alot that focus on the aviation part of the exam. i think I am taking the short version and my recruiter says to just focus on the math and verbal sections, but I am having a hard time finding those sections. I really want to do good on my exam.

Lobster

Thanks guy, but I see alot that focus on the aviation part of the exam. i think I am taking the short version and my recruiter says to just focus on the math and verbal sections, but I am having a hard time finding those sections. I really want to do good on my exam.

Go to the bookstore then and just look for books that cover those subjects. At barnes & nobles they have them in the study guide section. You're going to want to cover the following areas that are on the test

Reading Comprehension
Vocabulary
Arithmetic Reasoning
Algebra
Geometry
Trigonometry

All of which I've seen study guides for at the bookstore like I said before the "Mathematics Made Simple" by Thomas Cusick is a good book for the math it covers algebra, geometry and trig and I used it before my test. Helped a lot

Friendo

Astb

I hate asking questions that have already been answered, but I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I am studying for the ASTB, but I am curious as to what is allowed during the test? I'm guessing scratch paper is allowed, but probably not a calculator. Does anybody know? Thanks in advance

Bolter

pilot
There is one and only one book that you need to prep you for the ASTB. go to B&N or amazon and buy the ARCO study guide for military flight tests.
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Flig...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215165859&sr=8-1
Also, there was a previous post that mentioned the threat that is centered around the ASTB. There you can talk to future aviators like yourself that have recently taken the test and can offer some "gouge." Which brings me to your first lesson in naval aviation...one that EVERY pilot/ECMO/NFO/etc. has heard over and over... LIVE BY THE GOUGE, DIE BY THE GOUGE!!! That being said, I was a business major and a former arty dude (i.e. not very smart)... I lived by the gouge from day one and fly Harriers.

I hate asking questions that have already been answered, but I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I am studying for the ASTB, but I am curious as to what is allowed during the test? I'm guessing scratch paper is allowed, but probably not a calculator. Does anybody know? Thanks in advance

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Scratch paper, no calculator. If I remember I barely wrote anything except a few quick problems. The ARCO book was the only study guide I used and found it very helpful. I was out of school for 4 1/2 years when I took it so I took the tests in the ARCO book, found what I was hurting at, and then used math.com to jar my memory on how to work stuff out that I haven't done it years without a calculator.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
You will be given scratch paper. I only used it to write down the problem #'s that I needed to go back to, i.e. the one's I wasn't immediately sure how to solve.

If you take the test online, you will have a timer in the corner of the monitor to keep you on pace. There is even a bank that you can use to reference certain math formulas they provide, although I don't know which formulas they provide. I forgot about it while taking the test. But no calculator. You don't really need one.