• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-Retake

Cloak

Hey all,

New to the forums and was just told about them from an Ensign at the Cleveland, OH OCS Recruiting Center.

I took my ASTB on 4 June and passed it. My goal was to get a Pilot or NFO slot and unfortunately I only missed it by 1 point on my Math. Seeing as how I didn't study as hard as I certainly should have I was told to retake it and or take the commission with the current ASTB Scores and go into Intel. (As long as I am in the air, I will be happy) Seeing as Intel Officers are generally always in the air that is my 3rd Job Choice. Pilot/NFO 1st and 2nd respectively.

Any advice on studying? I have the ASTB Gouge packet and will be putting a daily effort into stepping up my knowledge of this test before my retake on 6 July.

Also, if anyone has any advice or comments regarding Pilot/NFO/Intel please fill me in. I unfortunately didn't have a lot of time when I was at the OCS Recruiting Station and I live 3 1/2 hours from it so I had a decent drive back home. Please feel free to speak your mind I would appreciate it.

Jason

Cloak

Interesting. I am just going by what both Chief's told me after taking the computerized version. They said if my "Math score had been a little higher, I would have been able to put in for a Pilot/NFO slot" and I was unaware Intel was more competitive.

I certainly don't want to go through OCS and then find out I don't have one of the 3 job choices I want.

I scored 5/5/6/46 when I took it cold, but I am retaking and studying this time around.

Im positive I can up my scores to at least a 7/7/7/60+. The hardest part for me was Math/Mechanics so I will be hitting that section hardest for studying. Any other advice?

Jason

batesdl

Interesting. I am just going by what both Chief's told me after taking the computerized version. They said if my "Math score had been a little higher, I would have been able to put in for a Pilot/NFO slot" and I was unaware Intel was more competitive.

I certainly don't want to go through OCS and then find out I don't have one of the 3 job choices I want.

I scored 5/5/6/46 when I took it cold, but I am retaking and studying this time around.

Im positive I can up my scores to at least a 7/7/7/60+. The hardest part for me was Math/Mechanics so I will be hitting that section hardest for studying. Any other advice?

Jason

If you have a high GPA with an ASTB of 5/5/6/46, you would still have a shot at Pilot/NFO. As for the studying and better preparing yourself, get a copy of the 6th edition ARCO Flight Aptitude Test Book. This will help a lot. You can also find loads of good gouge on this site as well, just do a search.

Bates

Cloak

Thanks for the input.

I was searching this site earlier and found the ARCO book a couple Gouges and I have the original ASTB-Overview and Gouge I was sent via email from the Chief. I take the Test in July and tomorrow morning is official start to my study period. Reviewing two hours a day until the retake on top of upping my workout routine.

Jason

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
In addition to the Arco Books, get the Barron's Study Guides too. I would also recommend buying every version you can find of both, the more practice tests you take, the better. Make sure you are using the time limits too.