• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Study Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn

What do you recommend for ASTB prep? Or anything that would be a good study for OCS? I've heard a lot about books from ARCO (Military Flight Aptitude Tests, Officer Candidate Tests) that are good while some say to look elsewhere.

spidrwmn

Get a copy of the Marine Study guide!! Someone posted a link to a site that had it, but I don't remeber where. Check the search option (top right hand corner of the screen). If you can't find it, ask around, I'm sure someone would send it to you (I would, but I only have it in hard copy).
Beyond that, the ARCO books are a good addition to the Marine guide, and depending on your math skill level (or when you took math last) you may want to pick up a book on word problems (ARCO publishes one) and one on basic algebra and geometery.
In addition, check the various posts for any other hints and suggestions.
Hope this helps a little!

- spider

Brooklyn

Sweet! Thanks for the gouge. I'll definitely need to get additional books for the math problems.

I'm assuming this Marine study guide is equivalent to what the Navy gives, right?

dawgfighter

That, I don't know. I just keep hearing that it is way better than the ARCO test prep book. Especially the mechanical apperception and nautical sections. The only thing that the ARCO book is good for is the spacial apperception test where they show photographed views from a cockpit where you determine the plane's destination. I've had an opportunity to look at it. It looks like it will be a great help when I take it this summer. However I'm focusing on the Marine ASTB for the rest of the exam. I'm glad this helped and good luck!
Erin

Gator

I used the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests study guide and found it to be very helpful. I started reading through the appropriate sections and practice questions about a week before the test. Then I went through the practice questions right before I took the exam. The spacial apperception section was very helpful. However, the test itself is harder than the study guide. I always managed to get the practice questions done in more than enough time, but there are alot more questions on the actual exam. Needless to say that you will be a little more rushed when you take the test. Good luck!

mattlowery

I recommend doing the problems you are sure you can do first, then go back and work on the others ones, and then when you have about a minute left, just go to the blanks ones and fill in bubbles at random. that usually works well on any test. I used the ARCO study guide also and it helped tremendously. When i took it, i think it was called the MFAT, Military Flight Aptitude Test. It had the same stuff on it though, just a different name. It helps a ton on the Spacial apperation section. The best way for that section is to use logic, and process of elimination and it will be obvious which is the right one.

As for the biographical section, even thought it might sound like it is the wrong answer, it is probably the right one and the one they want to hear. I think they actually like it when you answer "yes" to questions that are like, "have you ever gone on a high speed joyride just for the thrill of it?" i think they want to know you take chances and are adventurous. That is just my 2 pesos though.

Matt L.

Brooklyn

Hey, that's two pesos more than I had when this post was started!

Looks like the MFAT is going to be a must buy for prep materials. What do you guys think of ARCO's Officer Candidate Tests book?

spidrwmn

The ARCO Officer Candidate Tests book has more examples and more prep for the math/verbal/mechanical sections. It is worth a look through.
As far as the Marine Guide, it is almost exactly like the ASTB (but the math section depends on which test form you have - its either word problems and some graphs or geometery and graphs).

- spider

vballindaytona

yeah, arco book and marine guide is all i used and i qualified for everything.

bio part: i took the afoqt when i was in air force rotc in college and was very conservative and didn't qualify for pilot. when i took the astb the only advice the naval aviation club at our school told me was to be aggressive on the bio part. do you race your car? YES have you gotten speeding tickets? YES do you wear your seatbelt when you speed? YES ....some of the questions are to see if the applicant is agressive but not stupid at the same time. This is the only adivice i had when i took the test and passed the bio first time. hope this helps.

jonathan

spidrwmn

Pap - Thats cool you got an 8. When I took it I answered truthfully and only got a 3 (not aggressive enough).

So when in doubt, be aggressive, but also be someone who is responsible enough to think about the consequences. Also, you LOVE math and science!

- spider

Status
Not open for further replies.