• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB timing/medical issues

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm currently a 3/c interested in becoming an NFO. When would you say is the best time to start preparing for and actually taking the ASTB? Also, my eyesight is complete crap and, without surgery, I obviously can't be a pilot, but I was reading the NAMI standards and some of the requirements lead me to believe I'm qualified for NFO, but others lead me to believe otherwise. Short of doing the whole aviation physical thing, is there any way I could get a definite answer on this issue?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
My friends and I all took the ASTB during the spring of sophomore year. It was better to get it out of the way while our classes were easy and we could sit down and prep for it.

Also they were changing the test. All of our gouge was about to be rendered worthless - hence the push to take it right away.

billiken2002

pilot
My friends and I all took the ASTB the fall of our junior. The test was already changed, so we all took the new one. The ARCO book still works, but you should also look at some of the links people have put up on here. If you are that nervous about your eyes, you should look into getting the surgery. There have been 5 or 6 from my class that have received PRK and so far, all have been picked up for pilot slots. It's worth looking into.

Navyfan06

pilot
Hey - I did not do to well on the ASTB my first two go rounds, I found it to be difficult for the simple reason that the majority of the math is simple(that you havent done since 10th grade) and you cannot use a calculator. What I did was find an old algebra book and reviewed problems, formulas, stuff like that. My third (and final shot) at the test I did really well and ended up getting a pilot slot out of ROTC (can't wait till May!) Hope this info helps some.

Oakley568

DI$BO
You will be taking the new version of the test, so you only have 3 chances to take it, and your most recent score counts. All this info is on the ASTB gouge threads, which is what I used to increase my score from 4/5/5 to 6/6/7. It is useful information, but always remember: Live by the gouge, die by the gouge. Study the ARCO book for the spatial apperception (i think thats how you spell it)...but for the most part just relax and check out the ASTB gouge in these forums, but don't take it lightly, you have 3 chances...thats it. I also had PRK for my eyesight and just yesterday found out I was selected for a Pilot slot. Its definitely worth it, but SNFO would be fine too if that is what you're going for. Good luck:)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
CommodoreMid said:
I'm currently a 3/c interested in becoming an NFO. When would you say is the best time to start preparing for and actually taking the ASTB? Also, my eyesight is complete crap and, without surgery, I obviously can't be a pilot, but I was reading the NAMI standards and some of the requirements lead me to believe I'm qualified for NFO, but others lead me to believe otherwise. Short of doing the whole aviation physical thing, is there any way I could get a definite answer on this issue?

Short of doing the whole aviation physical thing, is there any way I could get a definite answer on this issue?

I don't think so....least not without the aviation physical. NAMI won't give you an answer until one is completed. Consider PRK surgery...many folks here have had it and been selected.

ip568

None
Find an FAA certified aviation medical examiner and go take a physical. As a result you will learn if you have any conditions that might be disqualifying for flying. A Navy FP is closer to the FAA's First Class medical, but you can take the Third Class exam just for your info. Worth the $75 or whatever.