• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astb version 3

Ionmeister

So here I am, already took version 3 of the ASTB and completely blew it by studying for one week for all sections of the exam = ( My determination for scoring sixes on the next exam (sometime late July) has enrolled me in a math course at the local community college. My question to all you Pilots and future pilots who have taken one of the other versions of the exam, and version 3, would be how do the exams compare? are they equal in difficulty? did you see duplication of questions? what books have you guys read, studied beyond the ARCO study guide? Any help is appreciated and I am ready to read a library to make this time around count.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I did crappy the first time I took it as well, can't remember what version it was though. I did bad on the math section and worse on the mechanical section. Three weeks of studying the Arco books was all I needed. I bought every version of the arco book that I could find and I took a practice test twice a day (timed). After those three weeks, I did considerably better on the next test.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
I also bought Barron's ASTB Study Guide, they are basically the same as Arco books. They also have like 3 practice tests in them, so good for that.

Ionmeister

Thank you, we probably shared that same feeling in the pit of your stomach upon receiving the results the first time around- i have two months to study so I'm on a set schedule to study every day from now to the day of, thanks again = )

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
You'll be fine. I'm a rock when it comes to math and I'm not mechanically inclined. But once I knew what to study, it was cake. Repetition is the key to studying for the ASTB. All of the problems are so similar on those tests. Just get to the point where you are comfortable taking the practice tests in those books, then you'll be ready. Good luck next time around.

sanchagrins

I just took version 3 earlier today, and didn't do as well as I was hoping. I actually thought it was easier than I was expecting, but still managed to only do average. I had the ARCO book as study guide and also got the FAA's Pilot Encyclopedia of Aviation Knowledge.

I thought the Math, Reading, and Mechanical portions were all easier than the ARCO, and the Spatial Apperception and the Supplemental Aviation sections were pretty tough. Looks like I'll be taking it again in 31 days :(

FYI:
5/5/4 48

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sorry but if you need to study for the ASTB for multiple weeks in advance of taking the test, you are really missing the point of the test.

Lobster

If you go to the local book store and pick up a basic math study guide that will help as well. Helped me a lot.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
In all fairness, some people taking the ASTB are 2 years (or more) removed from any college math classes and may need a little refreshing. Especially us Business majors. :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In all fairness, some people taking the ASTB are 2 years (or more) removed from any college math classes and may need a little refreshing. Especially us Business majors. :D

Maybe its a little bit of the "chicken or egg" deal, but if you suck at simple/practical math like they have on the test, then you'd better brush up anyway.....it will be expected of you in the cockpit sooner or later.

Ionmeister

Understood, i see the importance of brushing up on what was done three years prior- im hoping study time in advance will give me the opportunity to expand beyond whats expected of me on the exam and gain some personal knowledge in each topic along the way, afterall no one can rob you of your knowledge, only dementia

jtmedli

pilot
Math: Know your trig (triangles, acute and obtuse angles, basic sin/cos laws) and your basic algebra (if 3A=4B=6C what does A?=C? type of stuff. I had 3 of those on mine), and word problems are there as well.

Mechanical: I have an Elec. Eng. Degree so not sure what to tell you as far as studying other than read every ARCO/Barron's book you can and know the equation for moment ( total moment = R cross F )

BTW: I have no idea what version of the test I took.