• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astb

Edgy

I want to take the ASTB within the next month. First and foremost this forum is very helpful with some of the questions I had. I bought Barron's 2007 aviation book and an arco book from 2005. Should those be enough to study off of to ace the ASTB (get >60)? I am a sophomore transferring to a four year university to obtain a bacholers in accounting. I started college before my decision on aviation. I was told I could have a degree in underwater basket weaving and as long as I did good on the ASTB I could get in as a pilot. Ha, my question is do I really have a chance if I am going for accounting? Also, I can change majors, because I have taken mostly general education classes. The reason for the interest in accounting is because I'm good with numbers and it is a great business class to have if I want to own my own business or seek any other career in the business field. Any suggestions?

F14Flier7

Those books should really help you out along with this website's gouge. You can major pretty much in anything you would like; as long as you have a bit of Calculus in your backround (not sure the exact requirements; 2 classes of it is good for OC's that are previously enlisted).

You would probably be best to go to the NROTC or Air Force's Unit at the university to ask about the changing majors part and pre-reqs (make sure to get some kind of paper information; you don't want to make a mistake on that sort of thing).

I would recommend just cramming for about 3 weeks and you will do just fine on the test; those books will really help you out.

I don't exactly remember my ASTB scores; but I'll try to post them here shortly. I only have knowledge from the Navy (limited; I know the parts of an aircraft) and from those books; so it would probably be a good gage for you.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The selection is a whole person concept and the Navy doesn't seem to discriminate tech vs. non tech degrees. If you are good with math and numbers the ASTB shouldn't be that difficult for you. Good Luck!

Edgy

Thank you for the fast replies. I'm glad I came across this forum. Looking forward to seeing those scores. I'm going for the BDCP. I have too many credits to do NROTC.

blarged

ready
I took the ASTB about a month ago with no preparation other than running through two Math/Mechanics study guides I found here on AW. I didn't realize I had to take the aviation portions of the ASTB. As many have said here before, I found that the OAR portion was very comparable to the SATs. Back in high school I got a 1270 (700 math 570 verbal) and on the OAR I got a 65. Just gotta make sure you work quick, no day dreaming about what you'll be doing with your sweet scores... or else you won't get very sweet scores. I have 22 hours for my PPL and with no studying for the other sections of the ASTB, I got 7's across the board.

With an accounting degree, I think you should do just fine on the math. Maybe review some high school physics books though. Don't stress out about the test, if you feel like you are prepared, more than likely you will be.

Fetter

The most important thing about taking the ASTB (in my opinion) is to NOT be nervous when you show up to take it. You should be good with the barron/arco combo. I think being nervous cost me some points there at the beginning because I was freaking out. Anxiety will also tire you out quick and you have to motor along, it is a fast test. No pressure though, it's just a test that can determine the rest of your life... :D

redbeard1682

04' Finance Major - SNA Pro Rec'd

Sorry, but Accounting....bleh! Being good with numbers is one thing, but try staring at a balance sheet/income statement all day and reconciling the differences on each...God I don't want to have to go back to that on Wednesday.....ugggggg --- So yeah, good luck with that ;-)

red_ryder

None
This was my study strategy, and it worked pretty well: the marine gouge posted on here for the math/mechanics, arco book for the word and spacial problems and practice tests, skimmed the online FAA handbook for basic aviation concepts, and looked through some online nautical terms glossaries for nautical knowledge. Spend a few weeks on those and you should do great, anything more specific is probably posted elsewhere.

Rasczak

Marine
There is a post with every single piece of gouge you need for the ASTB. Your gonna have to search for it cause I don't feel like doing it.

Edgy

Hey thanks, yeah I found that post you were talking about. I'll use that as well as the online FAA and marine gouges.