• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astronaut Candidate Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnwilliams

Now, before everyone starts railing on me about focusing on the present and not worrying about that far ahead, I understand how much a shot in the dark getting selected for the astronaut selection program is and how much of an impossibility it is..but I do have some questions.

1. Does anyone know someone who has been selected from the fleet to attend the astronaut candidate program?

2. If so, aside from the obvious (M.S./PhD in advanced science/engineering) are candidates preferred to have published work in their respective sector?

3. Are astronaut candidates solely pulled from jet aircraft pilots? Or do heavy pilots have an equal footing?

4. The Navy's test pilot school would seem to me to be an obvious step up toward the astronaut candidate program, so, does anyone know of someone who has been selected to be a test pilot?

5. If I wanted to pursue my M.S. while in service would I be required to continue my job in the Fleet? Or could I take time off to pursue it as a sole responsibility?

6. Are there any instant disqualifications over those that are required to be a pilot? Such as more stringent guidelines over the flight physical.

If anyone has any other relevant information it would be much appreciated. Thank You.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are several other threads already on the forum that address this subject. I merged the most pertinent ones for you and closed this thread as it is redundant. So, go to the new thread and check it out. Then you can post any new questions you have in that thread.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The US isn't exactly going to have a manned space program here in the years to come, so enjoy your Soyuz space capsule. I hope you like speaking Russian.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.