• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astrophysics and Aviation

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Any astrophysics majors here? Did it affect your career in aviation? Did the excessive amounts of mathematics and physics help at all, perhaps with the ASTB? Do you plan on using it somehow in the future?

BigRed389

None
Any astrophysics majors here? Did it affect your career in aviation? Did the excessive amounts of mathematics and physics help at all, perhaps with the ASTB? Do you plan on using it somehow in the future?

You only need basic physics and math up to trig.

If anything what you do is probably so far out there you might get hung up on a single pulley problem.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Sounds like you'll make a great SNFO then...:icon_wink

(I KEED I KEED)

Oh, damn it all! LOL, it was rather daunting going through the list of courses required to fulfill the major. I was never that good at math. Oh well. I'll have to drag my way through it all. Maybe I could make a great both! Preferably SNA, though...

You only need basic physics and math up to trig.

Then what the hell is this crap I keep hearing about Calculus being a required course?!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
He's saying the ASTB only requires trig. For ROTC (and USNA) scholarships, they require two semester of calc and calc-based physics.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
I am also curious I am trying to decide a major and my main concern is acing the ASTB. Is there a course I can take to learn the Navigation and Aero lingo? And if so when I do demilitarize, what can I do with such degrees.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Sounds like you'll make a great SNFO then...:icon_wink

(I KEED I KEED)

I'd resent that if I weren't paranoid...

@mjc... I'm a computer science major and an SNFO. I have SNA friends that are history, physics, chemistry and elementary education majors. The guy thats an elementary ed. major is a Marine, and Marines have the highest ASTB standards.

Pick a major you'll enjoy and do well at. As for the ASTB, get a study book. You'll be fine.

dP

I am also curious I am trying to decide a major and my main concern is acing the ASTB. Is there a course I can take to learn the Navigation and Aero lingo? And if so when I do demilitarize, what can I do with such degrees.

Uhh, dude. Don't waste your college years deciding what major will best prepare you to ace the ASTB. If you want to tailor a major toward preparing yourself towards a Naval career, may I suggest marketing or communications. You will maximize exposure to cooz and time allotted to booze. Thus, you will be prepared to enter the aviation community.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uhh, dude. Don't waste your college years deciding what major will best prepare you to ace the ASTB. If you want to tailor a major toward preparing yourself towards a Naval career, may I suggest marketing or communications. You will maximize exposure to cooz and time allotted to booze. Thus, you will be prepared to enter the aviation community.

That may be the smartest thing I've seen on here in a while. :D

Brett

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
Just out of curiousity what are the standards of the USMC on the ASTB? and what does the average person generally score on it?

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
In no way am I choosing my major for the sole purpose of passing some aptitude test in the future. I absolutely love what I am learning, and I suggest you make that the case for yourself as well.