• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASVAB question

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
Ok, I just have a quick question about the ASVAB, this can be deleted after a few posts I just want some of your guys' input, I'm not sure if what my recruiter told me was accurate.

Is there a minimum ASVAB score you need to get to become a pilot, and does it depend on what you fly/branch of service etc... My local recruiter said a 70 would about cut it for just about anything you want to do in the military.

tiger84

LT
pilot
If you're looking at becoming a pilot you'd need to take the ASTB, not the ASVAB. If my memory serves me the ASVAB is used for enlisted folks when choosing jobs. Pilots, at least in the Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force are commissioned officers and therefore wouldn't need the ASVAB at all.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
ASVAB has nothing to do with becomming a pilot for the Navy, but is a test that is used for dertermining enlisted rate options IIRC. The test you want to take is the ASTB... you can take that sometime prior to submitting your service selection package through NROTC (I remember you were looking at that before) or your application for BDCP/OCS depending on which way you go.

As mentioned above pilots in Navy/Marine Corps and Air Force are commissioned officers. If becomming a pilot is what you want to do, continue to look into your college options/ officer accession programs. Your local recruiter is most likely an enlisted recruiter. His info would be geared to the that side of things (Hence him telling you the 70 on the asvab can get you almost anything you want to do).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the recruiter even mentioned the term ASVAB to you, he is gunning to make you an enlisted recruit. Don't talk to him/her anymore. Find the nearest officer recruiter and schedule to take the ASTB. Do a search on this website for "ASTB" and you will find a wealth of information.

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
Yeah he is an enlisted recruiter, I had the hunch that he wanted me to enlist and become a pilot that way which I have heard is definately not the way to go. Are you guys both pilots? So the ASTB is taken before you apply for an admission program? Would you recommend any particular commission path?

Thanks for the info by the way -

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
All three of us have been through the process in various forms... If you are applying for NROTC, you don't have to take the ASTB right away. You can take that a couple years down the road in preparation for your service selection process.

You will submit your astb scores if you go the BDCP/OCS route... but you don't start doing that your part way through college (probably another couple years down the road)

tiger84

LT
pilot
Your profile says you're a senior in high school so you have a lot of options in terms of commissioning programs. You're probably too late to apply to the USNA for next year, but if you waited a year you could always try that route. You could join the NROTC unit at whatever college you end up attending and commission that way. If you don't want any military committment while you're in school you could go either the BDCP or straight OCS route. BDCP would be pretty sweet since you get paid to finish up your degree and then go to OCS. I applied to straight up OCS because I didn't get serious about it until I graduated. My suggestion is to do a search on this site for these commissioning routes and see which one sounds like it suits you best.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I agree, your immediate goal should be going to college. From there you can apply for NROTC scholarships (3yr and 2yr)/ Academy (although you'll have to start your 1st year over again there... if thats what you want to do), BDCP and OCS.

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
Thanks, I'll start looking around to find more about BDCP and OCS, Ive heard a lot of positive things about NROTC so I am also thinking seriously about that. I used to want to go to the USNA but the more I think about it, I need more time to consider if it's really what I want to do, plus I'd opt for the more regular college experience.

To tell the truth (not to be spread especially on this site) :D I haven't decided between The Navy and AF. I am very interested in flying, and would like to start out in the military, and I am leaning toward the Navy but I'll see where things lead. At first I really wanted to fly jets, but I am considering helo's too. Alright, thanks for the info guys, anything you can give me is appreciated.

Also, I took the Ed Rush e-mail course and found some useful information, have you guys read it or know anything about him?

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
Oh.. I read your post about the Ed Rush comments getting out of hand. Didn't mean to bring it up again.

mc282000

If the recruiter even mentioned the term ASVAB to you, he is gunning to make you an enlisted recruit. Don't talk to him/her anymore. Find the nearest officer recruiter and schedule to take the ASTB. Do a search on this website for "ASTB" and you will find a wealth of information.

I read that if you didn't get above a 1000 on the SAT then you had to take the ASVAB for the Marines in addition to the ASTB to be considered for OCC. Can anyone confirm this? The electronics information section of the ASVAB has me concerned.

FYI, I got a 990 on the SAT my junior year in high school (1999). Rolled in late to the test, never studied for it, guessed on questions I had no clue on (heard its bad to guess on the SAT afterward) and basically wasn't concerned about the SAT as I planned on going to junior college.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read that if you didn't get above a 1000 on the SAT then you had to take the ASVAB for the Marines in addition to the ASTB to be considered for OCC. Can anyone confirm this?
That's the first I've heard of it.