• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Asymmetric loads on the Rhino?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I know one of the big features of the Super Hornet is its increased bring back ability as well as its tolerance for asymmetric loads on the wing hardpoints. However, recently I've noticed that many of the SHs flying over Iraq/Syria are carrying one external tank on one wing and one on the centerline, but the other wing is empty. Is that done to counterbalance a heavy GBU on the other wing or is there another reason for that?

(Also not sure if the answer is OPSEC sensitive, if so please ignore)

upload_2014-10-29_12-24-36.png

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know one of the big features of the Super Hornet is its increased bring back ability as well as its tolerance for asymmetric loads on the wing hardpoints. However, recently I've noticed that many of the SHs flying over Iraq/Syria are carrying one external tank on one wing and one on the centerline, but the other wing is empty. Is that done to counterbalance a heavy GBU on the other wing or is there another reason for that?

Those aren't Super Hornets, the intakes are rounded.

Your answer is visible on the aircraft to the left, it is apparently to give the ATFLIR an unimpeded FOV.

Last edited:

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Little embarrassing that I thought those were Rhinos, but thank you for the correction and the info. Would the aircraft somehow correct for that asymmetric load through trim or some other balancing mechanism, or would it be up to the aviators?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Where's @MIDNJAC when you need him?

And FWIW, that load isn't all that unbalanced in the scheme of things, especially if that ET is empty.

Python

pilot
Contributor
The pilot will trim it out. It's not really a big deal. Flash is correct: it is to not impede the ATFLIR field of view. A centerline tank only configuration is more symmetric, but that's just too little gas.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
That's a fairly standard F/A-18C combat load for Afghan/Iraq/etc. 2 tanks (called "double ugly" or "goofy gas" in reference to the asymmetry), ATFLIR, and some combination of 2 bombs or 1 bomb & 1 A/G missile, plus 20mm. Gives enough gas for mission req's, and keeps the FLIR field of view clear. Marine charlies will often fly with a tank on each wing, since their sensor pod is mounted on the centerline.

The Rhino can carry even bigger asymmetric loads than the charlies pictured above. Lateral (aileron) trim + Fly-by-wire means it's generally transparent to the pilot. Both types trim a certain amount of lateral asymmetry prior to the cat shot to ensure a wings level catapult fly-away, and usually don't have to mess with it much.