• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aussie SAS trooper awarded VC

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the hard lads from Down Under has been awarded the Victoria Cross for courage under fire in Afghanistan. Among other things, rescued a wounded interpreter under fire during an ambush.

Link to article

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the hard lads from Down Under has been awarded the Victoria Cross for courage under fire in Afghanistan. Among other things, rescued a wounded interpreter under fire during an ambush.

Link to article

A New Zealander SAS trooper got one too. Interesting to note that both of them lived to receive it, along with most British recipients of the Victoria and George Crosses.

Royal Marine George Cross Recipient

It took them a little over 4 months to award the George Cross to the Royal Marine. Contrast that with only posthumous awards of the Medal of Honor and the length of time in which it takes to award them.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Flash are you suggesting it is a good thing / bad thing / or just making an observation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash are you suggesting it is a good thing / bad thing / or just making an observation.

An observation. We have already covered this in another thread a few months ago. I think that taking 2 to 4 years to award a medal is too long, no matter what it is. And I am certainly not saying that any of the recent Medal of Honor recipients don't deserve them, there is no doubt they all do. But have some been passed over because they lived through the actions that got them a service cross? I think the question is a valid one. And I think the awarding of the Victoria and George Crosses provide a good contrast, since they are the closest to a Medal of Honor equivalent that you will find.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Not to steer this towards a previous thrread and recover ground, but I tend to agree with you. I dont have any annecdotal examples but I have to believe that there are probably people who displayed bouts of heroism that in WWI or II would have rendered a MOH but are passed up in the current conflict.

I dont know enough about the process to know why this would be the case however.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, Corporal Bil Apiata (NZ SAS) was awarded his VC for actions in 2004, but didn't receive the medal until 2007.

There have been two other VC recipients for Afghanistan, including this Aussie; the other was posthumous, Corporal Bryan Budd of the Paras.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, Corporal Bil Apiata (NZ SAS) was awarded his VC for actions in 2004, but didn't receive the medal until 2007.

There have been two other VC recipients for Afghanistan, including this Aussie; the other was posthumous, Corporal Bryan Budd of the Paras.

There have been a total of four Victoria Crosses and four George Crosses awarded to Commonwealth personnel for actions in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2003. Of those only one George Cross and one Victoria Cross have been awarded posthumously. With the exception of Corporal Apiata, the medals have been awarded 3 to 11 months after the actual action. I believe in his case there was concern about his revealing his identidy since he was an SAS trooper, hence some of the delay.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not debating that our awards system (esp WRT the Medal of Honor) is farked up. Just sayin', is all.

Clux4

Banned
Playing devils advocate here but, we have more in share numbers than any of the other coalition forces. Compared to a few awards that are submitted, we possibly have twice the amount. Probably not a valid excuse for the time it takes.
There also the Reserve and National Guard personnel with different commands. Is our awards system that centralized where things like this should not matter. Beyond Regiment/MAG level, I could not tell you the bureaucratic process the awards takes.
I agree, death should not be the basis for the Medal of Honor.

/end threadjack