• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Australian Black Hawk Crash at sea

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
The pilot, Captain Mark Bingley, died trying to escape from the helicopter, while Special Air Service trooper Joshua Porter was eventually found entombed within the submerged wreckage more than 2,500 metres beneath the surface.

How awful...it's always disheartening to see this stuff.
The nature of the beast I guess..:(

Trev82

pilot
i saw this on msnbc yesterday and couldn't locate a link for the video to create a thread on it, its a very violent crash. I'm curious if anyone has any inisght into this accident. Was he in trouble way before the landing? Why on earth did he approach like that, it appears as though he's coming in pretty quickly and then he just flops it down sideways while it looks like he still has foward momentum....

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've watched it several times to try and figure out what they were trying to do. I have no idea. It just looks like a gooned up approach to a crash. Once the tailrotor departs the aircraft, it makes for a very, very, bad day.

Tragic indeed.

Trev82

pilot
his approach was very close to the ship, why didn't he swing it out a little wider and come in at a different angle...aw the what if game.. well my thoughts and prayers are with his family, and as to how this happened is just bewildering..

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
his approach was very close to the ship, why didn't he swing it out a little wider and come in at a different angle...aw the what if game.. well my thoughts and prayers are with his family, and as to how this happened is just bewildering..

Who knows. Drives the message home that in aviation, if you are jacked up in a situation where there is little room for error (boat); the consequences are what you saw.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
1. The approach direction was weird - An to the fantail with the approach path coming from bow to stern?

2. Does it look like a normal approach maneuver? The speed of closure and aircraft attitude just prior to impact is messed up man! Holy crap!

3. I wonder where the winds were coming from? What was his weight?

weird, too weird. I'm totally scratching ny head about this one!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The board has been talking about wind as a factor - since they had so many dudes on board, to include operator types, I'd assume they were doing a simulated HVBSS. You can see them start to do a quickstop in the initial video, then in the deck camera you can see them almost doing a buttonhook, except they lose altitude. (Pwr req'd > pwr avail, perhaps?)

Gooned up all around.

Firehawk

Carrying too much speed into the ship, loaded down with troops, probably couldn't pull enough power to arrest the descent, and didn't have the altitude to dump the nose and gain airspeed. Tailwind made things much worse. He probably knew a few hundred yards before he got to the ship that things weren't going to go well.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Gooned up all around.

Wow. I am completely amazed by how much some of you guys were able to learn from that short video. If you know the a/c weight, environmental conditions, STR for the engines, true wind, airspeed, and the control inputs he was attempting (note that Chuck asked, he didn't try to tell) then you can venture a reasoned, well-informed guess at pilot error.

If you don't, then you could consider waiting for their board's report. Until all the facts are in, you also might want to think about giving that crew the same benefit of the doubt that you would want folks to give to you.

Firehawk

Wow. I am completely amazed by how much some of you guys were able to learn from that short video. If you know the a/c weight, environmental conditions, STR for the engines, true wind, airspeed, and the control inputs he was attempting (note that Chuck asked, he didn't try to tell) then you can venture a reasoned, well-informed guess at pilot error.

If you don't, then you could consider waiting for their board's report. Until all the facts are in, you also might want to think about giving that crew the same benefit of the doubt that you would want folks to give to you.

According to the article, they will be calling in experts to confirm that the helo did not experience a mechanical failure and the cause was excess speed while landing with a tailwind in a loaded condition.

Also, it's fairly evident watching the video, regardless of what the after-the-fact control inputs were, that he was carrying too much speed, and didn't have either the power or the ability to arrest it.

You're right. It's up to the board of inquiry to acertain exactly what happened, and were just calling shots in the dark. Was just making discussion about what it looked like happened.

Trev82

pilot
Your right it's wrong to make assumptions prior to conclusive decisions have been made, its wrong to the families and the crew. It was very raw footage and being that i'm in no position to make assessments i was hoping to get sage advice from some veterans and learn from it.