• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AV-8B lost, pilot recovered

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From official Navy release:

USS Iwo Jima Safely Recovers Marine Pilot
Release Date: 7/3/2006 2:02:00 PM

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) assisted in the safe recovery of a Marine pilot at approximately 6:50 p.m. (local) July 2 when he safely ejected from his AV-8B Harrier.

The pilot was preparing to land aboard Iwo Jima in the Mediterranean Sea, just north of Crete.

The pilot, a member of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) currently serving as part of the Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group, was flying a routine training exercise when the incident occurred. He was rescued within eight minutes and received minimal injuries.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Thank God he's OK. Any official details (when appropriate) would be much appreciated over here. PM if needed.

As far as recovery time goes, that's why those guys don't have to buy beer in port. It pays to have them want you around for next port.

MasterBates

Helo guys don't have to buy beer in port? Could someone please send my last 2 ships that memo?

Glad the pilot is OK.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Helo guys don't have to buy beer in port? Could someone please send my last 2 ships that memo?

Glad the pilot is OK.

That would be SAR helo pilots, and I can only speak for when I'm around them. I'm not above bribery in the interest of self preservation.

I heard the HSL guys drink mainly wine coolers. True?:icon_mi_1

MasterBates

Negative. Our female pilots supposedly drink those, and they have not deployed yet (my sqadron, not the whole wing)

My last 2 cruises we ended up as a primary SAR asset for a good chunk, as HS was either farmed out (Basra Det), broken down, or just not there (HSL for CQ dets, etc)

MasterBates

Prime example of AW thread drift. That is the only constant in the threads here. Except maybe T&B55 starting fecal matter.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
HSC-26 should have gotten the resQ...I emailed a few guys and they didn't say anything back :)

HELL YEAH SAR KITTYS! (although I think it's a sausage det)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
SAR KITTYS????

Yeah, that was the name all the marines gave to any female pilot on the SAR det. It has since become "politically incorrect" like RAG, calling students "Studs" or "Cones" or "Nuggets" and every other term that we use on this board.