• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation apps for Android OS?

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Has anyone had any experience with Android aviation apps?

I am going to invest in a tablet for pubs/flying in the near future and I would much prefer to have an Android/Windows Tablet over an Ipad. I have never owned any Apple products and I really do not want to have a tablet which has none of my digital books, apps, and cannot integrate with my phone/computer. However, Foreflight is pretty awesome and if there is no comparable alternative I will bite the bullet and purchase an Ipad.

A quick Google search has yielded a few results with the front-runners for Android being Garmin Pilot or WingX. I am looking for some opinions/reviews before I drop a few hundred dollars on a new tablet and a subscription.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Garmin Pilot. I have it, use it, just as good as ForeFlight, same price.

The tablet will be cheaper however.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've used the My Radar for a while, though never in the air. I dig the new wind overlay too, though I presume it's for surface winds. Is there a way to tweak that for winds aloft?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Doesn't appear to be, but I checked the surface winds against the METAR and they match up really well.

bmather9

Avare for android is a free foreflight clone that works pretty well in my experience. Not quite as good of an overall product, but for free, it gets me what I need.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
+1 for Avare!! Moving map/ real time on the approach plates, etc are great. I also like being able to record the flight in open it up in google earth later to see the ground track/AS/ALT. Great teaching gun patterns to show the new guy how wide he was, etc. I have also heard if you register for Wing X Pro from a .mil email you can get it free. I have not looked into it.