• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Ashore or Afloat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy21

My Cruise LT called yesterday and told me I've still got some flexibility with asking for Ashore or Afloat for 3rd phase. Any advice on the pros/cons for both? Basically, I'm trying to figure out the best chance of getting some Hornet rides. Thanks.

beau

well there are alot of non tactical MIDN billets for summer cruise. Its all the luck of the draw. The Carrier would be a fun cruise IMHO but yet again there is no guarantee that you will get a Tac. ride. The Shore tour is awesome in the fact that you can "Go out drinking when ever you want"...of course that all depends on your location and the other mids in your group. If you've got options....explore them...ask your LT if he has any info on what cruises are still available.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I did ashore but we still went out to sea on the last week (only 4 days) and they just flew us back to the beach when cruise was finished. Good stuff. IMO, I thought ashore was a good deal. But if you chose ashore, make plans to rent a car or bring a POV because walking really blows.

litreofcola

A friend of mine went 1st phase aviation ashore this year, and got a cruise billet to NAS lemoore. He ended up getting about three hornet rides.
A few years back when i went on 1/c I originally asked for afloat trying to get a hornet ride and ended up going ashore to lemoore. I lucked out with four hornet rides and could'nt have been happier with my cruise experience.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
My aviation underway cruise sucked- A whole lot. First day there they told us we wouldn't get to fly, and not to ask. Ended up getting a backseat ride in a HH-60H because the HS guys aboard felt bad for us all. Everyone i know who got an aviation ashore cruise loved it, no matter what type of squadron they got assigned to. I know many who got Tomcat, Prowler and Hornet rides. That being said, its all luck and timing, but if I was you, I would try to avoid avaition underway as much as possible.

flyboy21

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'll be putting in for ashore. That way I'll have the ability to see some sights in the down time but still have the possibility of making it out to the boat for a few days. Now it's just a matter of what I end up with...

Status
Not open for further replies.