• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Guaruntees

batman527

Banned
All of the posting that was going on in Mattio's thread got blanked apparently, so I'll pose the question here I guess. Are the Marines the only branch that will guaruntee aviation training in your contract, or not? I apparently am greatly confused about this or something, so if someone would set the record straight, that would be awesome, thanks very much.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The Navy does if you're going the OCS route (in fact, Navy OCS, unlike the Army and Marines, lets you apply for a certain designator for OCS). They won't say "Hey buddy, you wanna fly?" send you to OCS, then surprise! You're going supply!

I think the reason the marines emphasize that they guarantee a flight contract is because they don't guarantee the ground contracts. I.e. You can go to PLC/OCS/OCC with the intent of going Infantry, but the reality is, you have no idea what you're going to get until you're at TBS. With aviation, you know going in you'll be an aviator.

Ex Rigger

pilot
You apply for a Pilot/NFO slot......you get it......you sign a contract, go to OCS then flight school. It's not that hard to figure out.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
batman527 said:
Thanks ThisGuy, it's nice to actualy get helpful information from someone here. Nice picture too.

I Think you'll find that if you listen to the right people, you can get a great deal of helpful information here. Of course, you have to deal with the fact that there might be some sarcastic comments and/or minor insults intermixed. Unless you deserve it, its all in good fun. Isn't that why we love Airwarriors???:D

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Yup, the Navy guarantees you get a shot at Pilot or NFO. Making it through the training is another story. Also, since, unlike ROTC or Academy guys, the Navy doesn't consider OCS types to owe them anything. So if you fail or DOR out of training, you won't get another shot at another designator(any more... they used to send guys SWO). If you're an Academy or ROTC type and can't make it through flight training, they'll stick you in some do nothing busywork job somewhere to finish out your four year commitment... but if you're OCS, you'll get a ticket back home and an administrative discharge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hijack: Off topic, another thing about OCS is that the Navy uses OCS as the equalizer for officer quotas. The system guarantees that every year, a near exact amount of Ensigns will be commissioned through ROTC and the Academy. If the Navy doesn't need that many officers that year, they cut back on the number of OCS classes. In my year, 2000, they graduated a class at least every two weeks, and for awhile, every week... now I hear they're down to five classes a year (somebody correct me if wrong). Which makes it more competitive as far as test scores to get a contract. I'm glad they were hiring on the spot when I decided to join.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fre@kshow!! said:
If you're an Academy or ROTC type and can't make it through flight training, they'll stick you in some do nothing busywork job somewhere to finish out your four year commitment... but if you're OCS, you'll get a ticket back home and an administrative discharge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That routine kind of changed in the past couple of years. Due to over-manning in the FY03 and FY04 year groups, attrites were given the boot, this included DORs and sometimes NPQs. Major suckage for a lot of people... they took a defacto bottom-blow in API by making the passing average essentially 92% or so. A buddy of mine is no longer in the Navy, after 4 years of enlisted service and 4 years of NROTC because he got a 91% in API.

Not sure if that's still in effect, as the FY05 year group doesn't have the same problems.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
batman527 said:
Are the Marines the only branch that will guaruntee aviation training in your contract, or not?

This is also dependent on passing OCS and TBS.