• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation to Med: Question About AD Commitments

DeadCactus

Hi everyone,

My ultimate career goal is to become a physician. For various reasons I am looking at taking some time off after college and seeking a military commission before applying for medical school.

My question concerns how AD commitments would work with some of the MD programs the military has (HSPS and USHSU). Now my understanding is that you can't take part in these programs until your initial AD obligation is paid back, but like all things in the military, exceptions are made.

So for the sake of example, let's take an aviator who is at the point in time where he would normally do a ground tour. Instead he decides to get permission to go to medical school through USHSU and through some miracle is allowed. After medical school, what would his AD commitment be? Around 12 years (7 from USHSU + 5ish left from his initial aviation obligation) or simply the 7 from USHSU because of some sort of concurrent serving of time?

Thank you all for your time.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Hi everyone,

My ultimate career goal is to become a physician. For various reasons I am looking at taking some time off after college and seeking a military commission before applying for medical school.

My question concerns how AD commitments would work with some of the MD programs the military has (HSPS and USHSU). Now my understanding is that you can't take part in these programs until your initial AD obligation is paid back, but like all things in the military, exceptions are made.

So for the sake of example, let's take an aviator who is at the point in time where he would normally do a ground tour. Instead he decides to get permission to go to medical school through USHSU and through some miracle is allowed. After medical school, what would his AD commitment be? Around 12 years (7 from USHSU + 5ish left from his initial aviation obligation) or simply the 7 from USHSU because of some sort of concurrent serving of time?

Thank you all for your time.

Since your example is based on a "miracle" and is otherwise very hypothetical, it is really hard to guess what the commitment would be. It would really depend on what programs were available at the time and what drug deals you made with the detailers. There is no way to tell.

MasterBates

In an aviation to aviation switch, it is concurrent.

Based off my my getting winged in 2003, I owed until 1 FEB 2010
(7 year after wings helo winging commitment)

Based of when I should be done here, I owe until ~ 1 JUL 2013
(5 years after completion of training)

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most commitments for medical programs are consecutive - ie ROTC + HPSP = 8 years, ROTC + USUHS = 11 years, USNA + HPSP = 9 years, USNA + USUHS = 11 years. Payoff time for obligated service is exclusive of training.

The prior aviator types I know who went to med school all did so after their ADSC was served, even the S3 and tomcat bubbas. If you get one of those rare exceptions, I'd get it in writing and make many copies of it.

Good luck -

Rugger

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
Do med school after!

My plan is to be AD for 10-11 years or so and probably take a few of the core science classes during my B-billet. I'd study for the MCAT before you go in or when you have dead time (if any) waiting to class up for API/Primary.

Check out the studentdoctor.net forums. They have a great section for non traditional applicants and many USN/USMC types and a handful of aviators who are now med school students.