• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator (instructor) Shore Duty

skywiz

Anyone know how long the 1st shore duty is? (for an instructor?) Also, I was wondering what exactly the process entails for going to where you want for your shore duty? I have heard you contact your detailer 1 year prior to PRD... however, some have said that it is acceptable to contact the command to where you want to go...? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skywiz said:
Anyone know how long the 1st shore duty is? (for an instructor?) Also, I was wondering what exactly the process entails for going to where you want for your shore duty? I have heard you contact your detailer 1 year prior to PRD... however, some have said that it is acceptable to contact the command to where you want to go...? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
These are ultimately details you should be discussing with your front office when the time comes. Every community is different, but shore tours are usually 30-36 months give or take, and 12-15 months out is when you should start thinking about talking with your detailer. The NPC website has all the community detailers with their community info pages. Again, I can't emphasize enough that you really have to involve your front office. They are there to help you get the best, or most appropriate orders. In my community, RAG instructor orders are negotiated between fleet skipper and RAG CO and the detailer just handles the admin. Hope that helps.

Brett

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
For a short tour as an instructor you can expect 33 months orders.

I'm sure the finer details differ by community, but as Brett327 said, you need to at least talk to your XO before calling the detailer. If you contact the detailer yourself, you can expect the detailer to call your XO/CO and have a talk about you (which may not go the way you want it to go). Also, it gives you some face time with the front office talking about something you'll both enjoy.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
I will have to agree with Brett and Machine on this one. The shore tours for aviators (first tour) on instructor duty are 33 months. You have to start working on orders a minimum of 12 months out. RAG orders and VT advanced orders (maritime) are negotiated between your from office, the RAG, VT CO's and the detailers. There are specific requirements that you have to meet to get into these jobs. In every case, the detailer will work with your CO/XO to try to get you IP orders if that is the fit for you, realizing that each community has community fill orders that are required that the front office may have you tagged for as well. GET YOUR FRONT OFFICE INVOLVED. The process goes much smoother that way and you won't get the uncomfortable discussion with the CO when he finds out that you are trying to work orders behind his back. I would caution that it is NOT a good idea to call a VT, HT, etc squadron that you want to go to and try to get and "in" with them....the process doesn't work that way, TRACOM squadrons don't request specific people to fill slots, and then your detailer will also be irratated that you tried to game the system. Just sit down and have a talk with you XO and get the ball rolling from there. Most are pretty good at negotiating orders for people and will get you the right fit. VT orders are not as plentiful as they used to be, so no-one will appreciate you trying to set something up on your own! Another thing to think about is the duration of time at that set of orders, and what your follow-on plan is. If you are staying Navy, then you can pretty much bank on having to leave your shore tour early. The general rule has been a roll after anywhere from 18 to 24 months on your shore tour. This is to build in time for you disassociated sea tour and some fudge for possible war college/pre-dept head tour jobs that can help you and still get you back to your dh tour at year group + 11. If you are already behind that timeline, then the early roll simply makes up the difference and gets you back to your dh tour on time. Again, talk to your front office and work it that way....they will tell you what is you need to do and what kind of career timeline you are on if you have questions. Good luck.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In both communities that I have been in, you went VFR direct to the detailer but kept the front office in the know. They did not negotiate on your behalf at all. I would be pissed at losing that control over the future!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have aviators here at SWOS teaching Air Warfare and ASW. One of the instructors even wears the SWOS patch on his leather jacket. :eek:

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
We have aviators here at SWOS teaching Air Warfare and ASW. One of the instructors even wears the SWOS patch on his leather jacket. :eek:

Give us his name and we will have the jacket repo'ed tomorrow. :D