• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AW Striker question

Num6

I got a question and im sure this is the right place to ask. I scored a 62 on my ASVAB and qualified for Aircrew which i selected as my job when I was at MEPS. I ship out in a while and I was kind of curious if I was to go Undesignated Airman to ship out sooner and strike into (AW) how long does it take to strike a rate. Could i end up being a (AN) for my entire 4 year contract or could I strike into (AW) really soon.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I got a question and im sure this is the right place to ask. I scored a 62 on my ASVAB and qualified for Aircrew which i selected as my job when I was at MEPS. I ship out in a while and I was kind of curious if I was to go Undesignated Airman to ship out sooner and strike into (AW) how long does it take to strike a rate. Could i end up being a (AN) for my entire 4 year contract or could I strike into (AW) really soon.

Do a search and listen to the many pearls of wisdom on this site. And . . . . do NOT enter the Navy as an undesignated Airman. If you have decided to join the enlisted ranks, then make sure you have a guaranteed rate (and aircrew) before you sign on the bottom line. Trust me :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
If you're looking to go AW (sensor operator version), you can't strike for it. It's an "'A' school required" only rating. There may be other options later for the other flavors that are coming after all aircrew become AWs (utility crewmen); but as Rob said, DO NOT go in undesignated if your intent is to fly as aircrew.