• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Awesome Airshow Story

dilbert123

pilot
From an old timer, thanks for posting this. Those of us who flew the unheralded aircraft (S-2's and P-2's for me) and never see them at airshows or on the many military programs on television can relate to this. We weren't glamorous, we are largely forgotten, and an argument could be made that what we flew was ungainly, butt ugly from some angles even, but we are just as proud to have served as any veteran.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Am I the only one who thought they were gonna get the ol' man some stick time?? Amazing story through and through, glad to see a vet honored in a special way

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This was like my father in law when he saw his old plane at an Andrews AFB air show. Painted as he flew it with his "Spooky" ghost on the nose. He always flew as "Spooky 13" during the Vietnam war.

CIMG2873.jpg

LtCol, USAF (Ret.) 2x DFC

With his grandson inside the plane:
CIMG2869.jpg

Attachments

• Spooky.jpg
    Spooky.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 31

Flugelman

Contributor
A great find. I think we (as a culture) tend to get wrapped up so much in our own existance that we fail to remember and appreciate those who made it possible.

This is a shot of my recently departed Dad at the rollout of the F4U that was restored by the Vought Aircraft Heritage Foundation. He flew most of the Navy's fighter and attack aircraft of the Korean War era. I'm in the process of scanning in some of his pictures from that time and intend to post some of them here as sort of a tribute to him.

F4URollout029.jpg

Attachments

• F4URollout029.jpg
    F4URollout029.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 76

Jamin'G

pilot
Great story Hal and nice pics Schnugg and Flugelman! Good on 'em for giving up their seat for this old veteran. I can only imagine it meant the world to him.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Am I the only one who thought they were gonna get the ol' man some stick time?? Amazing story through and through, glad to see a vet honored in a special way

Who's to say they didn't? Wouldn't be something that you would want to admit to.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Who's to say they didn't? Wouldn't be something that you would want to admit to.
They are flying part 91. Unless the aircraft's certification says two pilots are required, there is nothing in the FARs that says you can't let someone else take the controls as long as there is a qualified pilot in the other seat. From what I've read, the Navy PV-2s flew with a minimum crew of 1 pilot, 1 B/N, 1 radio operator/gunner & 1 turret gunner. So there would be no problem admitting they let the guy fly a little.

Tulip

pilot
That is an awesome story!

Many thanks to the crew of that aircraft, I will buy you a round if I ever meet you.