• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-52H Re-engine?

hendogg311

I read in an aviation book that Boeing sent a proposal to USAF to replace the 8 TF-33-P-3 turbofans with 4 Rolls Royce RB-211-535 turbofans. Any Air Force types know anything about this. The Rolls Royce engine in question is on most Boeing 757 models.

Lawman

None
Theres been some push to Re-engine the B-52 since my dad joined the Airforce before I was born. I think all the magazines talk about it because it gives them something to do, till it shows up in Airforce Monthly I wouldnt hold your breath. With all the programs that are scrambling for money the priority of this rates around "not gonna happen anytime soon."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
it's amazing that these things are still getting upgraded 50 years later....what a machine. Anyone know why the AF hasn't put as much of an emphasis on the B-1? On the surface, it seems like such a capable (albeit expensive) aircraft. As for the ECM role (since they are talking about an EB-52), I would have thought that the B-1 would have been a better candidate for this role.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Not meant to threadjack, but I'll assume we're using the 52s in Afghanistan... but how about Iraq? I don't see how a mass bombing or non-preciosion bombing is really applicable there...

And in case you couldn't tell I know just a little more than jack-sh!t on the B-52 or most Air Force Bombers for that matter so go ahead and tear me apart. [/end disclaimer]

Lawman

None
MIDNJAC said:
it's amazing that these things are still getting upgraded 50 years later....what a machine. Anyone know why the AF hasn't put as much of an emphasis on the B-1? On the surface, it seems like such a capable (albeit expensive) aircraft. As for the ECM role (since they are talking about an EB-52), I would have thought that the B-1 would have been a better candidate for this role.

Actually the B-1 is the top PGM platform out of the 3 heavy bombers. When the Block D came out it really gave them an edge over the other 3 in terms of variety of weapons to employ. As for ECM.... my guess, and yeah I mean guess, would be that the EB-52 was the cheapest lowest risk route that the airforce had available.

petescheu

Yeah I've heard talk of the B-52s and B-1s becoming the CAS platforms of the future... with as many 500, 1000, or 2000lb JDAMs as they can carry (and I'm sure they'll be retrofitted to be able to carry the JSOW) plus all their loiter time, they can pack a serious punch.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
shoo24 said:
Yeah I've heard talk of the B-52s and B-1s becoming the CAS platforms of the future... with as many 500, 1000, or 2000lb JDAMs as they can carry (and I'm sure they'll be retrofitted to be able to carry the JSOW) plus all their loiter time, they can pack a serious punch.

that would be pretty cool actually.....imagine how long a '52 could loiter as a CAS platform, not to mention the loadout that it could have.

East

东部
Contributor
B-52 Buff

Most of the USAF KC-135s (and B707 spin-offs) were re-engined as well. The old engine of this aging aircraft made this type of aircraft not very welcomed at a lot of Airfields throughout the world due to noise reduction rules.

It's Boeing and their phrase is" Never change a winning Team..."