• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Back Problems for Applicants/Marines

PRIMBESY

Corporal
Semper Fi everybody!

Just need a little guidance from those that have "been there, done that". I served for four years in the enlisted ranks (1998-2002); finished school in 2004; and worked in the corporate world for the past two years. Recently, I started realizing that the corporate world is not for me and '9 to 5' desk-job days are driving me insane. My pulse doubles every time I see a Marine commercial or anything relating to the Corps. I think I'm one of those career Marines that got hooked for life and didn't even realize it during my time in the service.

Now that I'm certain that Marines is what I want for the next 16 years, I need to be a little realistic with myself. As with many, Marines left me with a gift in my lower back and I'm currently trying to figure out how a removal of one of my lower back disks will affect my OCC application package (Air Contract). If anybody qualified to discuss can comment I would really appreciate it. Also, what are the current vision standards for SNAs?

Thanks,

Corporal

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Semper Fi everybody!

As with many, Marines left me with a gift in my lower back and I'm currently trying to figure out how a removal of one of my lower back disks will affect my OCC application package (Air Contract). If anybody qualified to discuss can comment I would really appreciate it.

Have you already had surgery?
Not a doctor but I had back problems from spending lots of time under F-14's. I rehabilitated doing resistance training with light weights and it has improved greatly. My dad on the other hand had a ruptured disk and had to get surgery, more than once. It took him a long time to get back to any sort of normalcy. Would you have time to recover and still be of age to commission?

As far as waivers, I have no idea.

PRIMBESY

Corporal
No, I haven't had the surgery yet. My neurosurgeon recommended the removal of the disk, but I opted for an alternative (epidermal block shot) to see if that will work. Also, I've recruited John Hopkins neurosurgeon center in order to get an independent opinion and to see if they can do the surgery if it comes to that. John Hopkins has the best neurosurgeons in the country, so I'm hoping for a miracle.

I just turned 27 this summer, so with my prior service time, I have couple more years to play with. Although, I would rather not wait any longer, unless I really have to.

pdx

HSM Pilot
I'll post my favorite link here, as it addresses 95% of the medical questions on this forum.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

Click the orthopedics section, and there are descriptions of several back problems. Even if yours is not listed, it might give you a good place to start.

Some important abbreviations are CD/NCD (Considered Disqualifying or not), and WR/WNR (Waiver Remcommended or not). Also be sure to read the guidelines for Applicants, not Designated Personnel (i.e. those with wings).

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'll post my favorite link here, as it addresses 95% of the medical questions on this forum.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

Click the orthopedics section, and there are descriptions of several back problems. Even if yours is not listed, it might give you a good place to start.

Some important abbreviations are CD/NCD (Considered Disqualifying or not), and WR/WNR (Waiver Remcommended or not). Also be sure to read the guidelines for Applicants, not Designated Personnel (i.e. those with wings).

GOOD LINK... that's going into the favorites, so i can hand it out too.

pdx

HSM Pilot
GOOD LINK... that's going into the favorites, so i can hand it out too.

It isn't really a secret. I believe it's even been posted a few times before (insert sarcastic smiley here). In any case, it is the official word, and it answers lots o' questions. The only trick is to read it completely and carefully.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
It isn't really a secret. I believe it's even been posted a few times before (insert sarcastic smiley here). In any case, it is the official word, and it answers lots o' questions. The only trick is to read it completely and carefully.
there's a couple good links you can use to answer those "few times before" questions quickly, and that's one of them