• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Basic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPA

I've always dreamed of being a pilot in the NAVY... and until recently I thought that would be impossible due to less than perfect eye sight (20/60 or so). I found out recently that the navy did now allow laser eye surgery. I was wondering what the NAVY's current policy on eye surgey was. Are both lasik and prk acceptable. Can it be done before enlisting? Also... I am currently a college student at Georgia Tech persuing a BS in Management. We have NROTC here and I am considering joining, but was curious if a person has a better chance of becoming a pilot through NROTC or through enlisting after graduation and going to OCS. And finally... roughly what percentage of people who start out wanting to fly jets actually get the chance to (factoring out those who just give up and quit)... I guess what I'm really asking is how often to people get f----d over and can't fly what they really want?

I know this is a lot of questions, but they are all thing I need to know before I persue my dream... Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

KBayDog

DPA - Do yourself a favor and check around the site; every one of your questions has been asked and answered many times before.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
KBayDog said:
VarmintShooter,

"This Post's for You."

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! (pulling hair out)

Actually I'm just kidding, these questions get asked all the time and are the subject of some small amusement (because of their frequency and inability to be properly answered, not out of malice).

Anyway, try the search function and you'll be on your way ... anything you can't answer from that feel free to ask.

Welcome to AW. :)

flynsail

pilot
DPA said:
I am currently a college student at Georgia Tech persuing a BS in Management. We have NROTC here and I am considering joining, but was curious if a person has a better chance of becoming a pilot through NROTC or through enlisting after graduation and going to OCS.

The NROTC Unit there should have at least one LT from the aviation community. You should be able to get some info there as well as see what NROTC is like. One thing though, if you want to be a pilot, is that you would have to be commissioned. Enlisting and commissioning are different.

Lately (if it's always been like this, I do not know), and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, it is more competitive to be selected SNA through OCS than it is through NROTC.

Good luck with whatever you chooose.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!

snow85

yep-- that's one... and i thought i saw another one somewhere. (?)

oh-- and the other thing, DPA--

you'll notice that the nami website says that 'all forms or refractive surgery are disqualifying....' AND that 'the Ophthalmology Department is investigating the effects of PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) in the aeromedical environment.' that means that surgery is disqualifying, and that they don't have to give you the prk waiver. when in doubt, have your recruiter/oso check for you, but whatever the final word is, get it in writing.

as for your other questions, if you search 'what percentage get jets', you'll get a million sarcastic replies, and one or two that boil down to: you can bust your butt and get great scores, but it all boils down to the needs of the navy. however, if you are at the top, they'll try to work with you. some of the most motivated, talented people out there have a tough time in flight school. just get help when you need it. (search that, too.)

some people end up loving what they fly, even if it wasn't their original first choice, and others stay lukewarm. some try to transfer platforms.... just depends on the person and the situation.

i can't tell you much about NROTC, but i'm sure there are people on this board who can, and you can always do a search.

snow85

one more thing about eye surgery in general-- regardless of whether you do this on your own, or go through the military, definitely get at least one other opinion. not everyone is a prime candidate for it-- that means several things, like it may not work, can make your vision worse, or can improve your vision, but may leave you nearsighted. while it does wonders for many people, it is not all things optical to all people. get the other opinions. you don't want to do irreparable damage to your eyes, so if you have ANY questions or concerns ask, ask until you're satisifed with the answers you've been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.