• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Battlin' the Burble (CVN/CGs, Fixed/Rotary wing)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Does the burble change approach at all, especially if a pilot is used to flying off a nuke ship?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Does the burble change approach at all, especially if a pilot is used to flying off a nuke ship?
I don't really understand your question -- but as an AVIATOR you need to compensate for the BURBLE on nearly every approach when coming aboard ... but in general, the BURBLE is there every day; it moves and it changes in intensity (all usually directly related to how fast/slow the ship is moving through the air mass). Certain aircraft are more susceptible to the BURBLE than others ... depends on wing design and approach speeds, primarily.

I'm not certain how a "nuke" carrier would alter the equation except for the obvious of a newer island design profile and the lack of stack gas ... but the ships' stack exhaust was seldom a player in the CV aircraft approach in any case ... there was an ol' cartoon of the RAMP/BURBLE monster (Approach magazine?) w/ open jaws waiting for you -- they would always post it prior to every CQ evolution.

The fact of life of the BURBLE and it's effect on landing evolutions is why it's important for the BOAT drivers to keep the relative wind down the angle and not down the ship's course -- to minimize burble and stack gas airflow disturbance.

Good OOD's can do it ... :)

exhelodrvr

pilot

Have one of the small-deck H-60 pilots (note that that says small DECK) talk about flying in, through, with burbles! They get to hover in them for extended periods of time on occasion.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I don't really understand your question --

Sorry, it was poorly worded. What I was getting at was the difference between stack gas from an oil-fired boat vs. 'anti-global warming/zero emission' nuclear power.
I'm not certain how a "nuke" carrier would alter the equation except for the obvious of a newer island design profile and the lack of stack gas ... but the ships' stack exhaust was seldom a player in the CV aircraft approach in any case ... there was an ol' cartoon of the RAMP/BURBLE monster (Approach magazine?) w/ open jaws waiting for you -- they would always post it prior to every CQ evolution.

Thanks.

MB, did you land on anything smaller than a CG?

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot

From a helo perspective, the Burble you are fighting (regardless of what ship you are going to) is due to mechanical turbulence from wind interacting with the ship's superstructure. Hot gasses from oil burners aren't usually low enough to affect our approaches, but there are a few situations (on the CG-47 class, in particular) where hot gasses can reduce the effectiveness of your blades, thus requiring more power (for those that haven't had aero classes yet, cold/dry/dense air increases blade effectiveness ... if you warm it up or add mositure to it, blade efficiency, i.e. your ability to produce lift, decreases). It's a bigger deal during VERTREP or approaches with high gross weight because you are already power limited. Usually, you tell them to turn that engine off if they can, and then it's not an issue.

The burble is just one of the many shitty things you have to deal with when landing on a ship. The gustier the winds, the worse it gets. As much as I have grown to hate the saying, it certainly holds true when dealing with burble at the ship -- "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." You have to teach yourself to work with it more than anything else.

MasterBates

CG, DDG, DD, FFG, German FFGs, French somethingorother, British FF, Russian CG (in a Ka-27) and some other random crap during BALTOPS.

Plus most every L-Class save an LHA or D I forget which variant of big deck I have not hit, but it's one of the two.

MasterBates

That being said, no future plans to land on anything other than a CVN. Although I wonder IF you could land a E-2 on a LHA/D if you had the deck to yourself. And a lot of wind.

Pags

N/A
pilot
MB, did you land on anything smaller than a CG?

CG actually has one of the smaller decks for an air capable ship. Having hit almost every type of combatant ship in the fleet, the CG deck is one of my least favorite to bounce on. Worst is as the left seat pilot at Flt I DDG.

I've always heard the stories about the volcano, but have landed plenty of times with the volcano hot and never had any ill effects. But then again, in the 60S, there's almost always some extra power.

MasterBates

Volcano can make a difference in the 60B, especially with little wind over deck. The other thing I used to notice about CGs, is that the flight deck "translated" back and forth more under you. Between CGs being top heavy (read as roll a lot even in calmish seas for their size) and the flight deck being over twice as high above the ships roll center vs a DDG/FFG it seemed to need more "chasing" at times.

Spru-can DDs (same hull/flight deck as CG) were similar, but less top heavy, and nowhere near as severe burble due to smaller superstructure. It felt like you were in cleaner air up on the perch than a CG.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Volcano can make a difference in the 60B, especially with little wind over deck. The other thing I used to notice about CGs, is that the flight deck "translated" back and forth more under you. Between CGs being top heavy (read as roll a lot even in calmish seas for their size) and the flight deck being over twice as high above the ships roll center vs a DDG/FFG it seemed to need more "chasing" at times.

Spru-can DDs (same hull/flight deck as CG) were similar, but less top heavy, and nowhere near as severe burble due to smaller superstructure. It felt like you were in cleaner air up on the perch than a CG.

That wasn't the case with the older CGs (Arkansas and California come to mind) - flight deck was all the way aft relatively far from the superstructure, so the wind wasn't as much of an issue. The Arkansas had great lunches, so somehow they always seemed to get the mail first.