• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP eligibility

Megan8

Would I be eligible for the BDCP if I plan on entering the Public Affairs career?

Would I need to see a regular recruiting officer or an officer who recruits OCS candidates?

Any information I can get on this subject would be much appreciated.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yes and Yes. Shockingly, PAOs go through OCS vice OIS (unless something has changed).

However, since PAO is a very small community, it's going to depend heavily on their quotas.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Not to discourage, but my recruiter has told me about lots of applicants that have come through his office. Apparently PAO is one of the harder spots to get. They only take a few people per year, and most of them have pretty extensive media history (or another similiar background). Good luck though. As with everything else, hard work, luck/timing, & persistance, all seem to be big determining factors in achieving your goal.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to discourage, but my recruiter has told me about lots of applicants that have come through his office. Apparently PAO is one of the harder spots to get. They only take a few people per year, and most of them have pretty extensive media history (or another similiar background). Good luck though. As with everything else, hard work, luck/timing, & persistance, all seem to be big determining factors in achieving your goal.

Take one or two guys a year nationwide.

PAOs go to OCS because they are not direct commission accessions. OIS is only for guys that get direct commissions on joining the Navy. BTW, why wouldn't a PAO go to OCS. They are line officers after all.

Megan8

Thanks for all the info. A couple more questions: if it's difficult to become a public affairs officer, what fields are relatively easy to get in? I do not want to do anything involving direct combat or warfare. A couple of fields I'm interested in knowing more about include Nuclear Power and Intelligence. What can you tell me about these? Thanks!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for all the info. A couple more questions: if it's difficult to become a public affairs officer, what fields are relatively easy to get in? I do not want to do anything involving direct combat or warfare. A couple of fields I'm interested in knowing more about include Nuclear Power and Intelligence. What can you tell me about these? Thanks!
I'm not being sarcastic, but can you define what you mean by not wanting to do anything involving direct combat or warfare?