• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCPer taking Naval Science IV

BackOrdered

Contributor
My last semester is coming up this spring and I'm over 120 hours, thus I need to take a general elective. The CO gave me permission to take the NS 402 course if I'd like. Can anyone tell me how much assumed knowledge is found in NS 402 if you missed NS 401?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
In NSC401 you focus on the leader and how the leader functions and produces the big picture for others to understand and follow through with. It's not really knowledge that is hard to grasp. NSC 402 focuses more on specific people and their views of ethics and leadership (Kantian ethics, Aristotle etc..). Then you can kind of base decisions off each of their styles in a particular situation. You will also go through some basic things that JO's should know (PUBS, reporting aboard,Pay,NJP etc..).

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Below Average for headwork.....you should take an art class or communications class.....if you have to ask why, then that is another below.

Navyfan06

pilot
Below Average for headwork.....you should take an art class or communications class.....if you have to ask why, then that is another below.

JD- Did the Col your senior year give you CONs for missing his class one too many times??? (lol...Go Dogs) I actually enjoyed it, the year I took it the Col. eventually pinned on General. Great guy with lots of insight, that AND he was easy as hell to get a special leave form signed to miss his class!

To the orginal poster, it may be beneficial for you to take the class, at my school at least it was mostly the philosophy of leadership with lots of case studies and lots of discussion. ---Not a great amount of work outside the class which was a + for me

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's pretty much unrelated to any of the other NS classes, and it is IMHO the biggest pain in the *** as well. Have fun :)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
JD- Did the Col your senior year give you CONs for missing his class one too many times??? (lol...Go Dogs) I actually enjoyed it, the year I took it the Col. eventually pinned on General. Great guy with lots of insight, that AND he was easy as hell to get a special leave form signed to miss his class!

We had one guy who was late all the time... Our Colonel (the one after the General) just made fun of him... It was great.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Because it's not related to weapons systems, navigation, or understanding Navy lingo and history. It's its own class about leadership w/ shades of Navy. There's some theory in it that some find really interesting. I found it more interesting 6 years later when I could use the theory to identify "different" (read: poor) methods of leadership by certain seniors.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Because it's not related to weapons systems, navigation, or understanding Navy lingo and history. It's its own class about leadership w/ shades of Navy. There's some theory in it that some find really interesting. I found it more interesting 6 years later when I could use the theory to identify "different" (read: poor) methods of leadership by certain seniors.

That won't be too bad considering my purposes. Looks like I'm going through with it. Thanks for the help. It is going to be weird though. Since usually civilians take Naval Science 401 in the fall to satisfy leadership credits if at all, I'll probably be the only guy there not in a uniform or a polo.:paperbag_ (I've been waiting for an excuse to use this icon)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We had at least two "civilians" in my class. One was a former mid who switched to whatever the pre-cursor to the Nuke BDCP option was and the other was just there to take the class.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Just a follow up. I just received my grade in the class, A. Yeah, I can say it was pretty much everything everyone else said it was. We'd do case studies, lectures, open forums, group presentations, Sea stories from the Captain etc. Nothing I couldn't handle. Thanks for the advice guys.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just a follow up. I just received my grade in the class, A. Yeah, I can say it was pretty much everything everyone else said it was. We'd do case studies, lectures, open forums, group presentations, Sea stories from the Captain etc. Nothing I couldn't handle. Thanks for the advice guys.

Good end result, but you should have taken some BS class like women's studies or Home ec and made some study-buddies. This is very loosely related to folks asking if they can go to OCS while in NROTC or asking if they can do summer cruises while in BDCP. If it isn't required, why the fvck would you do it??

BackOrdered

Contributor
Good end result, but you should have taken some BS class like women's studies or Home ec and made some study-buddies. This is very loosely related to folks asking if they can go to OCS while in NROTC or asking if they can do summer cruises while in BDCP. If it isn't required, why the fvck would you do it??

NROTC guys wanting to go to OCS when they don't have to vex me. But I can imagine why BDCP guys try to do Navy oriented extracurricular activities considering we don't get any other exposure to the Navy until OCS.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
NROTC guys wanting to go to OCS when they don't have to vex me. But I can imagine why BDCP guys try to do Navy oriented extracurricular activities considering we don't get any other exposure to the Navy until OCS.

Consider that a plus. Not because the Navy is bad, but because you are FREE from responsibility (except for the few we have in BDCP) while we enjoy all the benefits.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Consider that a plus. Not because the Navy is bad, but because you are FREE from responsibility (except for the few we have in BDCP) while we enjoy all the benefits.

True, but things like ship tours, shadowing officers in your future designator, and speaking with the guys you will someday be in charge of outside of the "thou shall" constraints of NROTC is making up your own fun rather than a responsibility.