• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming A Naval Aviator?

Neal73

I'm really interesting in becoming a Naval Aviator. However I have some minor things on my medical history that's no longer active. However it's probably about 4 or 5 minor things so I don't know if that matters. I had a major health issue, and it caused a bunch of small things to linger on a bit longer. I'm still recovering, but I'll be going to college for mechanical/aerospace engineering planning on ultimately receiving a master's degree, and that will give me some time to fully recover from everything. All the small issues were conditional to the big issue which is now being resolved. Sorry for being vague, I rather not post my issues on a public thread. However if one must know what the "issues" actually were, feel free to message me, and I will fill you in. Some of them seem to be considered disqualifying without waivers I believe, not entirely certain. If the conditions have been inactive for years will it still be disqualifying? I am very fit, and healthy. I know I would make a good pilot. It's in my blood or something. I can't think of anything better than flying through the air looking out at the clouds, and the sun. Feeling the rush, and excitement of the thrusting engines. Flying a machine that costs more than some people's houses. I know I would be a great pilot. I'm just wondering if the Navy will be kind to things that are no longer active. I don't take any medication. Just some vitamins sometimes, because I diet from time to time to get good results from my workouts, and I want to make sure I get all the vitamins, and minerals I miss out on when I diet. I just can't see the Navy turning away a completely healthy, and dedicated person because of their history. I believe I'll be an ideal candidate with my grades, major, level of education, physical fitness, and my level of dedication to this.
Thanks

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The only people who are really qualified to answer that are at the Navy Aeromedical Medical Institute (NAMI). They are the ones who give you the final go/no-go for your physical qualification for aviation programs.

Search for and read the NAMI waiver guide to see what conditions you had and if they are waiverable or not. Then talk to a recruiter (if you will be applying within the next 6 months or so), get them your medical records and go from there.

exNavyOffRec

There are many items that do not matter if you have completely recovered, they are "history of", and the first step is talking to an OR or look in the navy medical manual, you have to get by N3M first before NAMI comes into play, if you can't meet basic military entrance requirements for officer programs you won't go any farther.

Neal73

The only people who are really qualified to answer that are at the Navy Aeromedical Medical Institute (NAMI). They are the ones who give you the final go/no-go for your physical qualification for aviation programs.

Search for and read the NAMI waiver guide to see what conditions you had and if they are waiverable or not. Then talk to a recruiter (if you will be applying within the next 6 months or so), get them your medical records and go from there.

There are many items that do not matter if you have completely recovered, they are "history of", and the first step is talking to an OR or look in the navy medical manual, you have to get by N3M first before NAMI comes into play, if you can't meet basic military entrance requirements for officer programs you won't go any farther.

Thank you both for replying. Is there anyway I can get in contact with a doctor that works with this daily? I'll check out that NAMI waiver guide, thanks again.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On Air Warriors you will find a forum moderated by a couple former flight surgeons. https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?forums/docs-corner.20/ Of course, they are only offering internet advice, but they are very familiar with the medical qualification and waiver standards and can help you understand just what the NAMI waiver guide says in layman terms. Make sure to surf that forum well before asking a question others have gotten answered two or three times already.

Neal73

On Air Warriors you will find a forum moderated by a couple former flight surgeons. https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?forums/docs-corner.20/ Of course, they are only offering internet advice, but they are very familiar with the medical qualification and waiver standards and can help you understand just what the NAMI waiver guide says in layman terms. Make sure to surf that forum well before asking a question others have gotten answered two or three times already.

Thanks Wink! I'll check it out!

A7Dave

pilot
Here's my 2 cents worth, unrelated to your "issues": "Just some vitamins sometimes, because I diet from time to time to get good results from my workouts, and I want to make sure I get all the vitamins, and minerals I miss out on when I diet."

If you are dieting and have to take vitamins to make up for something missing in your diet, quit it. I was high school and college athlete. I never dieted. I ate normally. Both the science of diet and blood chemistry have improved significantly since then (30 years ago). Point being, if you are tweaking your diet for some obscure reason, you could possibly mess up your blood chemistry (and bodily functions) that could show up in a NAMI physical. Unless you are dieting under the guidance of a college team dietician, don't do it.

I knew a guy (when I was in the Navy) who dieted and took vitamins to get him ready for the American Airlines physical. He screwed up his body so much he failed the AA physical.

Don't screw it up. Stay away from all that GNC crap and all "supplements". Eat healthy, whole food, and work out normally. If someone is selling you something to "improve" your diet, you don't need it.

Don't risk it.

Neal73

Here's my 2 cents worth, unrelated to your "issues": "Just some vitamins sometimes, because I diet from time to time to get good results from my workouts, and I want to make sure I get all the vitamins, and minerals I miss out on when I diet."

If you are dieting and have to take vitamins to make up for something missing in your diet, quit it. I was high school and college athlete. I never dieted. I ate normally. Both the science of diet and blood chemistry have improved significantly since then (30 years ago). Point being, if you are tweaking your diet for some obscure reason, you could possibly mess up your blood chemistry (and bodily functions) that could show up in a NAMI physical. Unless you are dieting under the guidance of a college team dietician, don't do it.

I knew a guy (when I was in the Navy) who dieted and took vitamins to get him ready for the American Airlines physical. He screwed up his body so much he failed the AA physical.

Don't screw it up. Stay away from all that GNC crap and all "supplements". Eat healthy, whole food, and work out normally. If someone is selling you something to "improve" your diet, you don't need it.

Don't risk it.

Thanks A7Dave! I'm not sure if I'm missing out on any nutrients by dieting I'm just taking the vitamins just in case, but you make a good point. I'll quit the diet, I suppose I need to figure out a more permanent healthy lifestyle anyways. Anything I need to do to become a pilot, I'll do. Any more tips?