• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a Pilot

Airwing

I am currently in Avionics school. I am looking to submit an OCS package to become an officer then a pilot. Any information as the best way to get started and a good path to take would be greatly appreciated.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Very vague question. But my best advice for any specific questions you may have right now, definitly try using the search option.

Crowbar

None
If you have a real specific question, ask away or shoot me a PM. I was an avionics tech and went through MECEP. In the meantime, go see your education officer, but make sure you know at least a little bit about the commissioning programs before you go. Here's some links to get you started:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9532

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5733

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145081&postcount=1

Realistically don't expect to get into anything until you finish all your training. I can expound on that if necessary. But it's never too early to start thinking about it.

Airwing

Becomming a Pilot

thank you for your replies, I have completed a 4 year degree as I graduated with a Bachlor of Science. I decieded to enlist before commissioning, now that I have been through boot camp, MCT and in Avionics school I thought this would be a good time to put together my package for OCS. Do I need to wait until I finish Avionics school or is there a way to bypass that and submit my package now?

Crowbar

None
You can start working on everything and getting it all together, but realistically don't expect to get in until you get to your final duty station and have a chance to make a name for yourself. There are always exceptions, and you aren't out anything if you try. Also, if you do get in on the first try, you're probably in the minority.

How much longer do you have in school? Do you know your MOS and squadron/duty station yet?

Airwing

I just got here in Pensacola, FL I haven't classed up yet. I hope I don't have to wait to long before starting class. As age is against me I'm already 25. Is there anyone that I should talk to about starting to put together my package.

Crowbar

None
Yes, go see the MATSG education officer. Talk to your squad leader or barracks NCO or class advisor or whatever they're called now, basically, the first NCO in your chain of command and fill them in on the situation. They should be willing/able to point you in the right direction. Expect some "You need to learn your MOS first" from them, and don't blow it off, but they shouldn't try to stop you from seeing the education officer.

If the education officer is on leave or TAD, talk to the career planner. More than likely the career planner won't be as well versed on commissioning programs as the education officer, but some are. If all that fails, send me a PM.

navy05

Just apply. When I went through avionics school in 1998-1999 as an enlisted Marine, there was a girl who got pulled out for 4-yr NROTC and another guy who applied for USNA. Personally, I waited till I was in the fleet to apply for a commission. Don't wait, just do it because it can be done despite what anybody says.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I am currently in Avionics school. I am looking to submit an OCS package to become an officer then a pilot. Any information as the best way to get started and a good path to take would be greatly appreciated.
at this point, if you have your degree already, your best bet will be to wait till you get to your fleet unit and submit a package for Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP).

Azdevil78

Talk to one of the hundreds of 2ndLt's walking around that place. I can assure you they would love to help or answer any questions you have.

Crowbar

None
Talk to one of the hundreds of 2ndLt's walking around that place. I can assure you they would love to help or answer any questions you have.

Yeah but how many of them can actually help? Beyond answering questions about OCS and TBS? Hit up a good many of those lieutenants with "ECP" or "MCP" and they'll get all discombobulated.

Here's a link to the order for enlisted to officer programs. Read over it a few times and then see the education officer. If you can find one of the officers who spent a few years in the fleet and can tell you about these programs, sit down with them and ask questions. Occasionally I get people doing this with me and I wish I had somebody to help me out like that when I was younger.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Just apply. When I went through avionics school in 1998-1999 as an enlisted Marine, there was a girl who got pulled out for 4-yr NROTC and another guy who applied for USNA. Personally, I waited till I was in the fleet to apply for a commission. Don't wait, just do it because it can be done despite what anybody says.

I also went through Avionics "A" school in Pcola in 98/99, and I remember more than one person getting selected for a Commissioning program.
I agree that it is not unwise to start applying now. You will definitely get the "learn your MOS first" treatment from higher, and there's a lot of value in that, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

I was an E6 with 7 years when I applied for OCC, but only because I went to college part time while on active duty. If I had the degree sooner, I definitely would have applied sooner. Good luck.

-Paul

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Marine Corps Orders on Enlisted to Commissioning Programs

Even though you are on active duty, you can still contact an OSO in order to get information about commissioning programs. You're best bet is to pull up the Marine Corps Orders (MCO) on commissioning programs and get the information from the "horses mouth." I've heard of countless numbers of enlisted Marines that want to be officers that go to some Training NCO that doesn't know anything other than bad information. Therefore, your best bet is to contact and OSO or read the Marine Corps Orders on Enlisted-to-Commissioning programs:

MARINE CORPS ORDER 1040.43A ENLISTED TO OFFICER PROGRAMS
MARINE CORPS ORDER 1560.15L MECEP
MARINE CORPS ORDER 1560.24D BOOST

They can all be found under the www.marines.mil website under Publications/Orders & Directives

I hope this helps.