• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a pilot

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I posted a while ago about becoming a navy officer. I have some specific questions about potentially turning in my application for a pilot, so I know whether I should even consider the option:

1. I know that my uncorrected vision isn't 20/20. It's somewhere around 20/30-20/35. I've read conflicting sources on whether or not you need 20/20 or 20/40 uncorrected vision to enter pilot training. Which is it? I don't wear glasses and don't feel that I need them to see fine in my daily activities. I just can't read print from as far away as I used to, but objects are still almost always clear to me.

2. I read something about passing a "class I flight physical." What is this?

3. I'm having trouble finding good studying material for the ASTB beyond the reading comp, math, and mechanical sections (which I already aced the first time I took the test). Can anyone recommend some good sources?

4. I've heard some sources that you take either the swim OR the run for the PFT. Is this true? If I take the run, will I still need to pass the swimming part in OCS? I only ask because I've never been a strong swimmer, and need to know if I need to get myself to a pool every day for the next few months to get up to par.

5. This is going to sound frivelous but it makes a big difference as to my current performance: when you take the sit-up PFT, are your feet held down?

pdx

HSM Pilot
You will have better luck with questions if you do a search of the forum before asking. Some of these topics have been discussed at length. Here are some starting points.

1. Go to the NAMI waiver site. http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm and click ophthalmology. This answer most questions about vision reqs. I think the requirement is just correctable to 20/20.

2. In the above waiver guide, you will see references to class I, class II, etc. As a pilot, you will have to meet reqs for class I applicant. Note that these are not always the same reqs as those for designated aviators (winged pilots).

3. Enter "ASTB" as a search term in Airwarriors, or go to the forum called "ASTB." Sound difficult?

4. You will have to run the PRT at OCS, there is no swim option. However, you will also have to pass a class 2 swim test. If you are a mediocre swimmer or better, this will not be a problem. In primary and beyond, your command will probably offer a swim option for the PRT.

5. yes. The Navy PRT manual spells out exactly how you do each exercise. I'm sure it isn't that hard to find, but I am not going to look it up for you.

Read what is already here, there is a ton of information (and misinformation).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Thanks guys. As to my "looking stuff up:"

1. I saw the NAMI site before, but the Arco ASTB review book said pilots MUST have 20/20. I came on here to seek an answer from those who have been through the process. Hence the confusion: looking up 2 different sources yielded 2 different answers.

2. The link to the Class I physical requirements didn't work for me on that NAMI site I looked at. Hence, I asked about what they are.

3. I have, and I've looked at many study guides. All of them say "look up xxxx in a book" or "Go watch Apollo 13 and remember the names." Well, instead of reading 20 books on Aviation history, aeronautics, and sailing, or watching a movie 13 times in a row, I'm looking for a summary of the facts I need to know. The study guides, such as Arco, ask questions on the matter but don't have any review material. I asked this question after scouring the web for about an hour for condensed review notes to no avail.

4 & 5: thank you. I've read how to do the situps prior to posting (elbows touching chest, full crunch, no ass off the floor cheating), but nothing ever mentioned whether your feet were held down or not.

Please don't assume people haven't already looked things up before posting. Sometimes things conflict, and sometimes things have less information than you might think.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys. As to my "looking stuff up:"

1. I saw the NAMI site before, but the Arco ASTB review book said pilots MUST have 20/20. I came on here to seek an answer from those who have been through the process. Hence the confusion: looking up 2 different sources yielded 2 different answers.

2. The link to the Class I physical requirements didn't work for me on that NAMI site I looked at. Hence, I asked about what they are.

3. I have, and I've looked at many study guides. All of them say "look up xxxx in a book" or "Go watch Apollo 13 and remember the names." Well, instead of reading 20 books on Aviation history, aeronautics, and sailing, or watching a movie 13 times in a row, I'm looking for a summary of the facts I need to know. The study guides, such as Arco, ask questions on the matter but don't have any review material. I asked this question after scouring the web for about an hour for condensed review notes to no avail.

4 & 5: thank you. I've read how to do the situps prior to posting (elbows touching chest, full crunch, no ass off the floor cheating), but nothing ever mentioned whether your feet were held down or not.

Please don't assume people haven't already looked things up before posting. Sometimes things conflict, and sometimes things have less information than you might think.

Then it would help to post your prior steps so people know what your exact questions are and what you already know. Most of my first questions were "I found X but I'd like to know Y which I can't find"

P.S. in the Tacked threads in the ASTB forum you will find everything you need to know about the ASTB. Can't do all the work for you.

pdx

HSM Pilot

Trust current Navy publications over gouge and over Arco books (or any other books). If somebody here tells you something that contradicts the NAMI waiver guide, they are probably (99.9%) wrong.

Look again at http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm and click on "Physical Exams and Standards." Page 3 of 18 is the beginning of the class I standards. The reason I am not just posting the standards is not because I am trying to be a dick. It is because I don't know the COMPLETE standards, and neither do many people on this site. What we do know is how to find them, and that is what I am sharing. Plus, it is freakin' 18 pages - mostly content, little fluff.

READ THE STICKIES IN THE ASTB FORUM. All the gouge we have to give is there. There is even new gouge for the new format. Plus the links to the major study guides are there. If I had anything to add to that forum, I would post it. I took the old one in 2004.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Trust current Navy publications over gouge and over Arco books (or any other books). If somebody here tells you something that contradicts the NAMI waiver guide, they are probably (99.9%) wrong.

Spekkio, the only source is the Navy source. So if you see something in a book you bought at B&N and it conflicts with a Navy source, the Navy one is correct.

The book might have been correct when it was written, but the standards could have changed since then. It is also possible that the book wasn't even correct to begin with.

After reading through all of this stuff, do you have any more questions?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not at the moment. You guys have been most helpful. I find the study material on the ASTB stickies to be either too in-depth (ie for people already in primary) or too basic, but I guess I'll just deal with it. I've been much more successful at finding aeronautic info than nautical info.

The Arco book was eh. One of the Mechanical questions was outright wrong...asked what a voltmeter would read if connected to a circuit in parallel, but the circuit was disrupted (which made the voltmeter in series with the unbroken part of the circuit). In that case, reading should be 0, but the answer said 600, which was the strength of the battery. Stupid Arco.