• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best commissioning path for me

kag

Future Officer
Good evening,

I am a 19 year old community college student currently enrolled in the Navy Delayed Entry Program and set to ship in late August. In early August I will be finishing up my Associate's Degree (I only need one class, taking it now). My GPA is not so great due to many things; for one I was pushed into college while still in high school and wasn't mature enough to handle that kind of environment. Also I got pretty low grades one quarter because my father was diagnosed with cancer and I was basically spending alot of time helping him out with various things.

So basically I am in a conundrum. What should I do? If I withdraw from the Delayed Entry Program (which I really would hate to do) I could re-take a few classes that I did poorly in and jack up my GPA. Then I could go to university, finish up my BS, and apply to OCS.

I could also stick to my guns and stay in DEP, but push back my ship date until I'm able to re-take those college classes. I could then do my time as an enlisted sailor, and apply for the STA-21 program while enlisted. I am a very committed person and hard worker, and have confidence that I can excel as an enlisted man and earn my right to apply to STA-21. I am an Eagle Scout and have always been a "natural leader" of sorts. I know people do not suggest enlisting with the intention of applying to STA-21, but I feel that maybe if I excel as an enlisted sailor it will help make up for my less-than-perfect grades. I've been told by STA-21 grads that while there is an emphasis on grades, the way to get accepted is to really smoke your interviews and essay and get those written reccomendations. The reason I like the STA-21 program so much is because college is your full time job. You don't have to worry about finding time to study apart from your busy work schedule. There's no way not to do great in school.

Just looking for some opinions, thank you sir/ma'am for your time.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
kag said:
Good evening,

I am a 19 year old community college student currently enrolled in the Navy Delayed Entry Program and set to ship in late August. In early August I will be finishing up my Associate's Degree (I only need one class, taking it now). My GPA is not so great due to many things; for one I was pushed into college while still in high school and wasn't mature enough to handle that kind of environment. Also I got pretty low grades one quarter because my father was diagnosed with cancer and I was basically spending alot of time helping him out with various things.

So basically I am in a conundrum. What should I do? If I withdraw from the Delayed Entry Program (which I really would hate to do) I could re-take a few classes that I did poorly in and jack up my GPA. Then I could go to university, finish up my BS, and apply to OCS.

I could also stick to my guns and stay in DEP, but push back my ship date until I'm able to re-take those college classes. I could then do my time as an enlisted sailor, and apply for the STA-21 program while enlisted. I am a very committed person and hard worker, and have confidence that I can excel as an enlisted man and earn my right to apply to STA-21. I am an Eagle Scout and have always been a "natural leader" of sorts. I know people do not suggest enlisting with the intention of applying to STA-21, but I feel that maybe if I excel as an enlisted sailor it will help make up for my less-than-perfect grades. I've been told by STA-21 grads that while there is an emphasis on grades, the way to get accepted is to really smoke your interviews and essay and get those written reccomendations. The reason I like the STA-21 program so much is because college is your full time job. You don't have to worry about finding time to study apart from your busy work schedule. There's no way not to do great in school.

Just looking for some opinions, thank you sir/ma'am for your time.

Enlisting would be counter-productive...forget what your recruiter said, he has ulterior motives for trying to get you to "do your time as an enlisted sailor" (read quota). STA-21 is a great program but in my opinion not worth the 4 years that it took me to get in...
Don't kid yourself, if you enlist with the intention of going STA-21, plan on serving your full enlistment...
From some of your comments, you have had some good advice about the reasons for not enlisting. If you want to be an officer, you will most likely be unhappy enlisted. Just my 0.02.

Hursel110

None
What FMRAM said. I wish I had read this before replying to your STA-21 thread. STA-21 is great for what it is, a way for enlisted sailors to become officers. It is not a great way for civilians to become officers. My advice: stay in school, try for an NROTC scholorship, or for BDCP. If none of those options work out, apply for OCS.

Good luck!

kag

Future Officer
Would a DEP discharge affect my chances of being picked up for OCS after I graduate? I don't want to look like I can't stick to a position or anything.

Maybe I'll talk to an OSO soon. I already talked to an NROTC guy, but I was told that I have too many credits finished to qualify. They called me at MEPS because of my high ASVAB score (94).

I really want to go the officer path with my career, I feel like an idiot for rushing into enlistment.

pdx

HSM Pilot
BDCP might be a better option than ROTC, especially since you already have some completed credits.

kag

Future Officer
pdx said:
BDCP might be a better option than ROTC, especially since you already have some completed credits.
BDCP looks interesting, but it looks like community college students are not considered very competitive.

Also, my coursework so far has been oriented towards Political Science as my major field of study. I know I could earn a commission with a BA, I'd just have to do really really well.

pdx

HSM Pilot
kag said:
BDCP looks interesting, but it looks like community college students are not considered very competitive.

I think any officer program, including STA-21, is going to be fairly competitive. Proven academic performance is going to be a plus any way you go, but the Navy always talks about the "whole package" concept. I haven't seen your package, but it sounds like you may have a few weak points. It's possible you might have to spend some time cleaning it up before you will be accepted to any program. Stick with it.

kag said:
Also, my coursework so far has been oriented towards Political Science as my major field of study. I know I could earn a commission with a BA, I'd just have to do really really well.

Lots of people are commissioned with BAs. I am an engineering type, and I have always enjoyed it, but I would say somewhere around 50% (maybe more) of the flight students I know have BAs.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I had to pull a kid out of Marine DEP for this same sort of thing happening. His recruiter snowed him in with the argument that "prior enlisted service will look good on a PLC application," which, while probably true, was not what said kid wanted to do.

I would recommend getting done with community college, getting the GPA up there, and digging in your closet for everything and anything good you've ever done, or has made you a better person (or at least look like one, :D ), getting accepted to an accredited college to pursue a bachelor's, and immediately after getting accepted, contact an officer recruiter about BDCP.

That's my answer to the question, and I really think that's the best route for you. My second "choice" for you would be direct accession, after finishing a bachelor's. It's a bit of a wait, no doubt about it, but it will be worth it in the long run. I know. I almost enlisted out of disgust for my current situation/surroundings/job/etc, etc halfway through my second sophomore semester at University of Kentucky, but I'm glad I went the route I did, sucked it up for a bit, and applied/got accepted for BDCP. We'll see if I'm still glad here in two months when I start OCS. :D

Reactions: pdx

nugget81

pilot
kag said:

I'm not sure where you got that impression. I graduated from a community college and applied for BDCP the first semester at a university. Again, the board looks at the whole package. I even had a couple of issues with grades from 2 community colleges, but I made sure that I took care of them before I submitted my application. Now I'm getting paid to go to school full time and I have a pilot slot. It's not an easy road to take, but hard work will pay off.

If I were you, I would drop DET and finish your bachelor's degree. Fix those weak areas and apply. Best of luck!

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
And, for the record, it is official DoD word that withdrawing from DEP will NOT have any negative affect if the person later applies to a commissioning program, even within the same service. This was one of the key issues my friend in this situation wanted to make sure of before he withdrew.